Minetest logo

IRC log for #minetest-hub, 2017-05-08

| Channels | #minetest-hub index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 rubenwardy well, I best head off o/
00:01 benrob0329 alright, bye!
00:10 calculon joined #minetest-hub
00:49 octacian How do I change an entities speed? I assume it's related to velocity, but can't figure it out
00:51 octacian ATM, I'm calculating velocity by subtracting the entity position from the player position
00:54 Jordach ~tell rubenwardy http://i.imgur.com/WzCgrhg.png
00:54 ShadowBot Jordach: O.K.
00:54 octacian sofar: IK you know how, so are you around? xD
00:54 Jordach benrob0329, red-001, ^
00:54 octacian Jordach: you messing with a tab-less menu?
00:54 Jordach yeeeep
00:54 Jordach it actually is a single tab
00:54 Jordach but
00:55 octacian Cause I've been working on the exact same thing :rotfl:
00:55 Jordach it's not mentioned
00:55 Jordach fstk requires at least 1 tab in the tree to function
00:55 octacian hmmm, Interesting. Might be best to just rewrite fstk.
00:55 Jordach don
00:55 Jordach t
00:55 octacian Why not?
00:55 Jordach it's horrible
00:55 Jordach trust. me.
00:56 octacian So... That mean it should be rewritten :P
00:56 benrob0329 ^^^
00:58 Jordach might be easier to write a launcher in all honesty
00:58 octacian That was the method I was going for though.
00:58 Jordach https://www.tcl.tk/about/language.html
00:58 octacian I'd personally like to just improve the current "launcher."
00:58 benrob0329 Jordach: not tk
00:59 benrob0329 Anything but tk
00:59 Jordach Tcl is a good language
00:59 benrob0329 Yes, but not popular enough to have good libraries
00:59 Jordach don't need libraries for a launcher, benrob0329
00:59 Jordach might just write a neat launcher in Python
01:00 Jordach intergrated support for a console within it
01:00 benrob0329 Besides, a c++ launcher is easier to bundle
01:00 octacian I dunno, I was working on a launcher a bit back with Electron, but besides issues with using Electron in the first place, it'd be better to just improve the MT main menu
01:00 Jordach >electron
01:00 * Jordach looks at discord
01:00 * octacian is currently speaking with a friend on Discord :P
01:01 octacian No, really though. With some improvements to core, anything that we'd want to do on a launcher could be done right on the main menu.
01:01 octacian Did I scare him away? O_o
01:01 octacian :rotfl:
01:01 benrob0329 Updating would be hard
01:01 octacian Yes, but I think it would be worth it.
01:02 benrob0329 As well as managing different versions
01:02 octacian Again, yes it would. But whatever we do it should be in the same formspec-style as MT's main menu is currently.
01:03 benrob0329 formspecs look ugly tbh
01:03 octacian And again, it might quite possibly be worth just writing it for the current main menu.
01:03 benrob0329 And need to be replaced
01:03 octacian Very true, but it should keep in the same style or be a precursor to a new formspec style.
01:03 benrob0329 It should be similar, but better
01:04 octacian Well, I'm all for the idea.
01:04 octacian Cause it is true that version management in current core would be incredibly hard.
01:05 benrob0329 imgui ftw
01:05 octacian imgui?
01:06 benrob0329 Yeah, C++ immediate mode gui
01:06 benrob0329 Its pretty much dead simple, but extremely flexible
01:06 octacian Ah, I see.
01:06 benrob0329 And would be much, much better than current formspecs
01:07 benrob0329 Because they are based on functions and if statement (aka if button was pressed, do __)
01:07 benrob0329 They can be dynamic
01:08 benrob0329 https://github.com/ocornut/imgui/
01:12 paramat joined #minetest-hub
01:19 octacian paramat: What things in the noise parameters of my decoration registration should I change when the decoration is packed too tightly together.
01:23 paramat 'offset' and 'scale', which are 1st and 2nd numbers
01:24 octacian hmm OK.
01:24 octacian So, if I make those number less they won't be packed as thickly?
01:26 octacian paramat: ^
01:27 paramat the noise value is 'number of decorations placed per surface node'. offset is the average value, scale is the typical variation either side. for areas of no decorations you can let the noise value fall below 0
01:27 benrob0329 ugg, the foam for my mic arm came off
01:27 benrob0329 so i walked in to a mic + mound resting on the floor
01:30 paramat so the noise value should be <=1. if offset = 0 then there will be equal areas of world with and without decos
01:31 octacian huh, OK. I'll experiment a bit. I'm still vary new to noise in general though.
01:31 paramat dense jungle trees are fixed at 0.1, 1 tree per 10 surface nodes
01:33 octacian paramat: What defines the per 10 nodes? The fact that the 1 is in the tens place?
01:34 octacian Ohk, so that's when using fill_ratio
01:39 paramat fill ratio is what you use when you want a fixed value, when you use noise you are getting a variable fill ratio
01:39 octacian Yes, that's what I noticed.
01:40 paramat if you want 1 deco per 10 nodes, then fill ratio = 'decos per node' = 1 / 10 = 0.1
01:40 octacian Makes sense.
01:41 octacian OK, got fill_ratio working satisfactorily, now will attempt to do the same with noise as I'd like variable fill
01:41 octacian ended up doing fill_ratio = 0.01 (oak tree decoration)
01:51 paramat yeah 1 per 100 so 1 per 10x10 nodes
01:51 octacian 0.03 seems perfect :D
01:51 octacian One thing I'm noticing though, even with fill_ratio the decoration placement is variable
01:52 paramat yes, randomness
01:52 paramat but the average is 'fill ratio'
01:52 octacian hmm, OK. So I could theoretically place all my tree decoration with fill_ratio xD
01:53 paramat hang on, hmm
01:53 paramat are you using fill ratio and a noise?
01:53 octacian just fill_ratio
01:53 paramat ok fine
01:54 octacian If it's worthwhile though, I'll make a point of learning more about noise before implementing rest of decorations for my subgame
01:54 paramat but you'll get a constant tree density throughout the biome
01:55 paramat the 'mapgen questions thread' has a lot of useful info, and explains noise
01:55 paramat somewhere
01:55 octacian Link? I had one sometime ago, lost it though.
01:56 octacian Guess I'll be able to find it again though :D
02:03 paramat well it's easy. 0.03 seems perfect, so say you want a little variation either side of 0.03? use offset = 0.03 scale = 0.01
02:03 paramat then fill ratio varies from 0.02 to 0.04
02:06 paramat it's a sticky in modding discussion
02:06 paramat the 3 numbers in brackets (200, 200, 200) is the 'spread', the scale of variation in nodes
02:07 paramat so the dense areas will be of max size 200 very roughly
02:08 paramat 'spread' is the rough scale of fill ratio variation
02:09 paramat in nodes, make sure all 3 numbers are the same
02:48 halt_ joined #minetest-hub
02:49 Grandolf joined #minetest-hub
03:25 Sokomine er. something seems to be quite broken with the recent version of mt. was just on a server and didn't manage to walk through a 2 node high walk, didn't manage to walk up stairs or anything else half a node high, didn't manage to walk over a ladder (perhaps related to the 2 node high scenario)
03:26 halt_ joined #minetest-hub
03:27 Grandolf joined #minetest-hub
03:27 paramat yes these are being fixed
03:28 paramat https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5715 is merged
03:29 paramat https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5724 i will merge v. soon
03:30 Sokomine yes. saw something adressing that in the git log. but: what is mentionned in that pull request is what i'm experiencing now...and that's already merged and compiled in? or is it a fix for the fix?
03:31 calculon joined #minetest-hub
03:32 paramat what commit are you on?
03:33 paramat the server you were on may not have the fixing commit
03:33 Sokomine c1b3ed4180dea16e2fa77663a7d2bf155595dd60    current git
03:33 paramat master has fixed walking through 2 node high spaces
03:33 Sokomine that is very likely, yes. most servers will not
03:34 paramat yes it's serverside
03:34 Sokomine that hometown server allowed me to climb stairs and slabs again. doors still proved obstacles i cannot pass anymore
03:35 paramat some PRs were merged on Sat that actually had problems, i've been cleaning up the mess overnight :]
03:36 Sokomine ah. thank you :-)
03:36 Sokomine errors can happen easily. thanks for fixing them and doing all the work!
03:36 Sokomine just write somewhere please that the current version is - just right now - not a particulary good idea :-) (surprisingly often it is)
03:37 paramat well master will be completely fixed (by #5724) in 1 hour after i eat
03:38 Sokomine ah. that's quick :-) won't be able to test then
03:58 halt_ joined #minetest-hub
03:58 Grandolf joined #minetest-hub
04:41 paramat joined #minetest-hub
04:52 octacian How do I change an entity's speed? I've already set_velocity, but still can't get speed working.
04:52 octacian I'd like it to go around twice as fast as it currently is towards the player.
05:15 paramat left #minetest-hub
05:52 lumidify joined #minetest-hub
06:17 CWz joined #minetest-hub
06:19 lumidify_ joined #minetest-hub
06:21 calculon joined #minetest-hub
06:34 kaeza joined #minetest-hub
07:20 nerzhul joined #minetest-hub
07:22 tenplus1 joined #minetest-hub
07:22 tenplus1 hi folks
07:46 tenplus1 Hoppers mod updated to use new animated chest inventories : github.com/tenplus1/hopper
07:49 Guest73953 joined #minetest-hub
07:49 tenplus1 hi amaz
07:51 Amaz Hi ten :)
07:52 * tenplus1 is very annoyed with animated chest addition... it breaks a lot
07:53 nerzhul tenplus1, i agree, it's hacky, because it's a server side cheat shit due to the lack of core engine interaction with client, we should just spot that
07:53 nerzhul stop*
07:54 tenplus1 personally I'd remove it and bring back the old chest
07:54 nerzhul like knockback, like armors, it's standard features which should be added to core and properly dispatched to client, with optimized ways
07:54 nerzhul having an opening animation make sense, but just send the client which animation to play on which node seems lgtm more than this hack
07:55 tenplus1 also WHY was inventory name changed from 'main' to 'default:chest' ???  that in itself breaks many mods
07:55 nerzhul oh ?
07:55 tenplus1 the lbm changes everything over
07:56 tenplus1 and mods like hoppers dont work anymore... had to patch that
07:56 tenplus1 am starting to feel as if the animated chest pull wasn't thought through fully and how it would affect current worlds and mods
08:06 tenplus1 fire redo updated to allow for new chest drops on_burn
08:12 tenplus1 https://github.com/minetes​t/minetest_game/pull/1730
09:10 shivajiva Morning folks :)
09:10 tenplus1 hi shiva
09:10 shivajiva Hi tenplus1
09:11 shivajiva does the project have backwards compatibility or is it tenuous dependant on who wants what?
09:12 tenplus1 huh ?
09:12 nerzhul shivajiva, can you be more precise ?
09:13 shivajiva just wondered what the ethos was with changes that break mods
09:14 tenplus1 changes should never break current worlds or mods without adding the facility for backwards compatibiltiy
09:15 tenplus1 already doors, grass spreading and now chests has messed up compatibility with changes being added to fix them after the fact
09:15 shivajiva yea that's what I'd noticed
09:16 shivajiva got me to wondering what the rules were :)
09:19 tenplus1 I feel that big changes like this shoudl have a poll in the forums for players to agree on as well as devs in git...
09:20 tenplus1 Q. Does everyone want animated chests in-game? (yes, no, dont care)
09:22 Amaz A. Couldn't care less. (But not at the expense of breaking mods)
09:22 shivajiva seems worth asking so there is an awareness of potential changes and a wider consensus
09:23 Amaz Yup
09:23 shivajiva I managed to break my build last night, patched the visual slide on my current and now it doesn't find world or game :/
09:25 shivajiva how can a few changes produce that, compiled with the same command as last time, did I miss something
09:25 tenplus1 visual slide ?
09:25 shivajiva the code from #5622
09:26 Amaz Did you make a mistake on the cmake flags or something?
09:26 tenplus1 oh the detach thing
09:26 Amaz Mainly RUN_IN_PLACE can cause problems like that.
09:26 shivajiva didn't touch anything, same compile command
09:27 Amaz Hm, no idea
09:27 shivajiva but it is a run_in_place build same as before
09:27 Amaz Hmmm, no idea
09:28 nerzhul i think MT game should use polls sometimes, but i'm not a MT_game dev :)
09:28 nerzhul like i did for auto save the screen size
09:28 tenplus1 the thing that annoys me is that the chest inventory name was changed...  there was no reason to do that... it breaks so many things...
09:29 tenplus1 why change 'main' to 'default:chest'
09:30 shivajiva I shifted to run in place to test 0.4.15 dev and everything worked fine till this compile...weird
09:30 shivajiva Idk tenplus1 it makes no sense
09:33 tenplus1 so now anything that transfers to and from chests are essentially broken... that's a lot of mods
09:34 shivajiva I do know main didn't make sense on the first read, it wasn't intuitive but I accepted that's what I needed to use so no more thought was given
09:34 tenplus1 any container I've seen uses 'main' to hold items...  'src' for working nodes and 'dst' as output...
09:51 tenplus1 sofar: you there ?
10:32 Fixer joined #minetest-hub
10:32 tenplus1 hi fixer
11:00 rubenwardy joined #minetest-hub
11:01 tenplus1 hi rubenwardy
11:02 rubenwardy hey
11:25 tenplus1 what's new ?
11:26 rubenwardy submitted a massive piece of coursework 25 minutes ago
11:26 rubenwardy closed a tab at each strike of the bell (12 noon)
11:26 tenplus1 oof, hope it goes down well :P
11:26 rubenwardy then plus some
11:45 Calinou hi
11:45 Calinou was checking my XonStats profile
11:45 Calinou http://stats.xonotic.org/player/1370
11:45 Calinou I spent 15 full days on ranked Xonotic servers :D
11:45 Calinou (but in ~5 years)
11:46 Calinou that doesn't count servers not in stats, I spent lots of time on them too
11:46 Calinou http://stats.xonotic.org/server/11049
11:46 Calinou also, I see my own server in the stats
11:52 nerzhul precise stats, it's nice :p
11:52 tenplus1 https://github.com/minetes​t/minetest_game/pull/1731
11:59 Calinou nerzhul: yeah, we had XonStats since 2011
11:59 Calinou it does the job well
12:21 Jordach joined #minetest-hub
12:22 tenplus1 hi Jordach
12:28 CWz joined #minetest-hub
12:32 tenplus1 hi CWz
12:33 CWz Hey mr 11
12:33 tenplus1 https://github.com/minetes​t/minetest_game/pull/1731
12:34 RobbieF joined #minetest-hub
12:34 tenplus1 hi robbie
12:36 RobbieF Good morning tenplus1 - how you been?
12:36 tenplus1 stressed but ok
12:36 tenplus1 you ?
12:38 RobbieF aww, everything okay?
12:38 tenplus1 I'm fine, it's the latest minetest release with some issues that need fixed... compatibility is an issue
12:39 RobbieF Yeah I had a bit of a stressful weekend, but managing. We were out in our family van and the brakes stopped working all of a sudden... push to the floor and no brakes.
12:39 RobbieF oh is there a new MT version?
12:39 tenplus1 ouch, hope you got em sorted dude...
12:39 kaeza left #minetest-hub
12:39 tenplus1 latest dev build has broken chests
12:39 tenplus1 many mods wont work with new default chests... a revert is needed
12:39 RobbieF We're scrapping the van. Left it on the side of the road and thankfully were able to stop safely (thanks to an incline)
12:39 RobbieF so now have to deal with suddenly having to buy a van
12:39 tenplus1 glad to hear dude... get a new one with nintendo paint job :P
12:39 RobbieF thanks for the heads up re. chests
12:40 RobbieF that's no good
12:40 VanessaE collision boxes are broken in clients as well
12:40 RobbieF ha, yes that's where I'll sink my money  :D
12:40 tenplus1 that was my next line Vanessa :)))
12:40 VanessaE ninja'd :)
12:40 tenplus1 heh
12:40 RobbieF We'll be looking at a reasonably new (3 years or so) van with whatever color it comes in  :p
12:40 tenplus1 hope you find a good one dude
12:41 RobbieF Thanks
12:41 VanessaE 3 years?  jeez, my car is 25 years old
12:42 RobbieF ha
12:42 RobbieF yeah our van is nearly 20
12:42 tenplus1 https://github.com/minetes​t/minetest_game/pull/1731
12:42 RobbieF But want to buy one "nearly new" so we can hopefully have it paid off before it starts needing anything serious
12:42 VanessaE btw next time the brakes die on a vehicle, use the parking brake.  it's cable-operated on most cars and is separate from the main system.
12:43 tenplus1 or flintstones it :D
12:43 RobbieF good to know V, thanks
12:43 RobbieF I'm sure I'd have started slamming down on things in a panic if it weren't for the hill  :P
12:43 VanessaE they don't have much stopping power, but between that and downshifting to 2nd or 1st, or shutting off the engine, should be enough to stop you
12:43 tenplus1 glad you stopped safely tho... woulda been a nightmare scenario
12:44 VanessaE also, you can throw it into park if you're not worried about trashing the transmission, if it's an emergency
12:44 RobbieF I like that last one: when travelling in unstoppable vehicle, turn off the engine so your steering also locks.   :p
12:44 * Jordach is rebuilding the main menu
12:44 tenplus1 any previews Jordach ?
12:44 VanessaE RobbieF: turn off the engine, wait for it to die, then switch the key to "on"
12:44 RobbieF :p
12:44 VanessaE keeps the steering wheel un-locked.
12:44 VanessaE you can steer without power steering, it just takes more muscle
12:44 RobbieF You and your 25 year old car have been through this then  :p
12:44 VanessaE thankfully, no
12:44 RobbieF Oh, I have plenty of muscle!  :D  haha
12:44 VanessaE I just have a lot of experience with cars.
12:45 Jordach alternatively, if you're RWD or AWD/4WD#
12:45 Jordach hit the accelerator and spin it out
12:45 RobbieF So my reaction to jump out the driver side window and let the van crash through the front of a shopping mall = bad?
12:46 VanessaE y-y-yeah.
12:46 tenplus1 woulda been fine if it was a bed and beyond store.. plenty of pillows/cusions
12:46 RobbieF :p
12:46 Jordach tenplus1, http://i.imgur.com/c9wpiI2.png
12:46 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/9SJZRSQ.png
12:46 tenplus1 ooh, nice Jordach
12:47 Jordach if i figure out tab swapping
12:47 Jordach how FSTK does it, and patch it
12:47 RobbieF Last night I visited my dead van at the side of the road to remove the stereo  :p  Wonder what the passer-by's thought.
12:47 tenplus1 did you wear a dark hoodie ?
12:48 RobbieF A black coat, holding a flashlight and a pair of cutters  :p
12:48 RobbieF just shaved my head that morning too, so I'm sure I looked ultra-tough  :p
12:49 tenplus1 eheheh, woulda been a sight to see
12:49 Jordach VanessaE, kill me
12:49 VanessaE why
12:49 Jordach fucking builtin is a horrow show
12:49 VanessaE oh.
12:49 tenplus1 builtin menu ?
12:49 VanessaE so fix it and submit PRs then
12:49 Jordach VanessaE, axed the tabs system entirely
12:49 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/c9wpiI2.png
12:49 VanessaE actually that's kinda nice
12:49 VanessaE the colors aare a little garish
12:50 Jordach you will have to manually replace the files however
12:50 VanessaE otherwise, +1
12:50 tenplus1 yeah, I like how simple it looks to use
12:50 Jordach VanessaE, same as the loading bar
12:50 VanessaE for a menu, they're too bright
12:50 VanessaE for the loading bar it's fine
12:51 Jordach it's textures/base/pack/ui_button[_push].png
12:51 Jordach most of these can be ported to dialog windows (settings, credits etc)
12:51 VanessaE looks nice.  make a PR.
12:51 Jordach some require tabs
12:51 Jordach VanessaE, unfortunately windows makes it a bitch to do
12:52 Jordach eg: i need to clone a copy and patch directly over it
12:52 VanessaE ok, so?
12:52 VanessaE :)
12:52 Jordach i'll do it when i've solved the major issues, and it should run on android just fine
12:52 VanessaE well
12:52 VanessaE feature freeze is in like, a week
12:53 VanessaE so you have that much time to get it in.
12:53 Jordach usability should be exempty from that ;)
12:53 VanessaE nope.
12:54 Jordach fstk is a horror show, but i'm beginning to understand what's going on now
12:56 VanessaE like I said... fix it, make a PR.
12:56 sniper570 joined #minetest-hub
12:57 Jordach the new mainmenu is actually a tab according to fstk
12:59 lumidify joined #minetest-hub
12:59 Jordach woooo
13:00 Jordach it's working
13:00 Jordach estimated time: 30 minutes
13:00 tenplus1 <fingers crossed>
13:01 Jordach i've moved the tab display about -1000 inventory slots on x and y
13:02 Jordach no bastard is finding it unless you've got a literal infinity display
13:02 tenplus1 ?
13:03 Jordach tenplus1, MT needs to be rendered at 100k * 100k
13:03 Jordach for it to be even found
13:03 NathanS21 joined #minetest-hub
13:03 Jordach i've offset it to insane parameters on purpose
13:03 tenplus1 hi nathan
13:03 tenplus1 that's weird Jordach
13:03 NathanS21 hi tenplus1
13:04 Jordach tenplus1, this was -10 on x http://i.imgur.com/0m3t1sU.png
13:04 Jordach mfw http://i.imgur.com/0m3t1sU.png
13:04 Jordach dammit chroem
13:04 Jordach https://forum.minetest.net/vi​ewtopic.php?p=268149#p268149
13:04 Jordach ^ ayy lmao
13:07 * Jordach has gained understanding of fstk
13:09 nerzhul lol forkers wants your interface to be better on android and make money on our work :p
13:10 * Jordach autistically screeches
13:11 tenplus1 lol
13:11 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/S2wYzjs.png
13:11 Jordach wat
13:11 Jordach the mainmenu has proper UI scaling
13:11 Jordach wat
13:11 Jordach WAT
13:12 Jordach why doesn't this apply in game
13:14 nerzhul not the same C++ object
13:15 Jordach blob:http://imgur.com/f96f9dd8-1​63f-4207-9077-2208a4b7aef0
13:15 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/ly7hD72.png
13:16 Jordach nerzhul, and that would be the solution to all the shitty problems ingme formspecs have
13:17 Fixer hi
13:17 tenplus1 hi fixr
13:19 Jordach tenplus1, VanessaE where to move the play button
13:20 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/owvEz1L.png
13:20 VanessaE Jordach: no opinion yet
13:20 VanessaE you need to redo more of that screen
13:20 tenplus1 keep it in middle
13:21 VanessaE but offhand I'd say leave it where it is
13:21 Jordach or make it cover all three
13:21 VanessaE no
13:21 VanessaE that would look bad
13:21 VanessaE 0.
13:21 VanessaE oops
13:22 Jordach VanessaE, gimme thoughst
13:22 tenplus1 keep play button in middle but up size of text if possible :D
13:22 VanessaE tenplus1's idea has merit
13:22 Jordach can't change font size
13:22 tenplus1 nuuuuuuuuuuu
13:22 VanessaE then make it an image button
13:23 kaeza joined #minetest-hub
13:23 VanessaE bake the text into the button
13:23 tenplus1 how about      - = P L A Y = -
13:23 Jordach h o r r i b l e  s c a l i n g
13:23 VanessaE not if you make the image large and set the target size small
13:23 kaeza left #minetest-hub
13:32 Jordach wooo
13:32 tenplus1 working ?
13:32 Jordach multiplayer and the advanced server tab works
13:32 Jordach will decorate them eventually
13:33 Jordach i've now removed the android menu setup entirely
13:37 octacian joined #minetest-hub
13:37 tenplus1 hi octacian
13:37 octacian hey tenplus1
13:38 tenplus1 https://github.com/minetes​t/minetest_game/pull/1731
13:40 Jordach >mfw core.close()
13:42 octacian How can I make an entity unaffected by gravity?
13:42 Jordach they already are, octacian
13:42 tenplus1 do you mean dropped items octacian ?
13:42 Jordach a blank one requires on_step to actually function
13:43 octacian I'm confused then. If I set a dropped items velocity to vector.subtract(player:getpos(), object:getpos() and add 1 the the z value of the players position, the item will continually bob up and down as if gravity is pulling it back down
13:43 octacian tenplus1: yes.
13:43 tenplus1 you'd have to define a new __builtin:item2 entity so that it's unnafected by gravity....
13:44 tenplus1 or have gravity in the dropped item itself
13:44 octacian Why? Couldn't I just override the default dropped item?
13:44 octacian That's what I already do so as to modify the on_step and such.
13:46 tenplus1 you could, yes...  could have it default to -10 for gravity or if minetest.registered_item[node].gravity is set then use that :D
13:46 tenplus1 that way it acts like normal but lets you set gravity for specific items :D
13:46 octacian The way I'm currently overriding the item is the same way as does mtg.
13:47 octacian I define local item { ... }, save the previous builtin item to a variable, and then call setmetatable(item, builtin_item) and minetest.register_entity(":__builtin:item", item)
13:47 octacian So, I could just set gravity to -10?
13:47 tenplus1 that's what i do in my builtin_item redo mod :D
13:48 octacian hmm, OK.
13:48 octacian I'm just trying to implement nice smooth movement of the item entity towards the player with the least amount of code possible
13:48 tenplus1 like the dropped item mod ?
13:49 tenplus1 minecraft style pickup
13:49 octacian Probably :D
13:49 octacian Seems to be working a bit betting, item still bobbing up and down a bit.
13:50 octacian What I just can't figure out though, is how do I make the item move faster? Velocity doesn't seem to affect that, seems only to affect where the item moves to.
13:50 tenplus1 acceleration ?
13:51 octacian tenplus1: can you send me a link to your builtin_item mod? I can't seem to find it.
13:51 tenplus1 github.com/tenplus1/builtin_item
13:51 octacian Yes, I'd assume it's acceleration. I just have absolutely no clue as to how to get it working.
13:51 tenplus1 it has water pushing items around and ice sliding in it
13:54 octacian hmm, Just reviewed that code, it's very interesting. I may just use your code with some slight modifications to lock a few things in.
13:54 tenplus1 yeah go for it :) it's MIT
13:54 tenplus1 if you wanna see it in action check out Xanadu...
13:54 octacian Good, I'm using LGPLv2 in my subgame.
13:54 tenplus1 players have mob spawning with water pushing dropped items into hoppers
13:54 octacian I'll just D/L and test on MTG :D
13:55 octacian Yeah, I really like that concept.
13:55 octacian now, here's a question. With those neat things in mind, why hasn't anybody made a mod to add sneak animations and hide the nametag on sneak?
13:55 octacian ..cause I'm just about to do it for my subgame anyways :rotfl:
13:56 tenplus1 they woudl have to add sneak, sneak walk, sneak mine animations to model which would increase size
13:56 Jordach don't look at me
13:56 octacian IK, but how much more would it really increase it?
13:56 tenplus1 no idea :P
13:56 octacian lol
13:57 octacian Well, my friend's gonna attempt to do it today, so I guess we'll find out :P
13:57 tenplus1 but yeah, sneak animations and nametag hide would be amazing
13:57 tenplus1 invisibility mod can handle removing nametag
13:57 octacian Also, you should add mod.conf to builtin item mod
13:57 octacian Well, removing nametag is simple - just one line.
13:57 tenplus1 it's only meant to replace default builtin items... shouldnt need .conf
13:57 octacian Reminds me, I need to update a few things in my invisibility mod
13:58 octacian Would still make it more convenient, wouldn't it?
13:58 benrob0329 Hello
13:58 tenplus1 hi benrob
13:58 octacian Cause it's still a mod, and would prevent having to remove the -master from the downloaded file :P
13:59 benrob0329 I should see if imgui has an Irrlicht backend
13:59 octacian I currently have so many mods that a search feature in the configuration could be incredibly useful :rotfl:
14:01 tenplus1 k, builtin_item updated
14:02 octacian tenplus1: Does builtin_item not support automatically adding the inventory?
14:02 octacian In short, I'd like minecraft-like dropped items lol
14:03 tenplus1 I never added that cause it's in another mod already... but I could look into it sometime, if player stands within 1 block it'll suck in item
14:04 octacian Yeah.
14:04 octacian Well, I'll just pick and choose stuff from your mod in that case.
14:04 * octacian still has to learn about acceleration then....
14:04 tenplus1 ehehe
14:05 tenplus1 the merge function already checks surrounding for entities so I could add a player check into that to suck in item
14:06 octacian Wouldn't you just use on_step?
14:06 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/5EYKYhS.png
14:06 tenplus1 ncie one Jordach
14:07 tenplus1 octacian: I *could* but I dont like adding unless necessary...  the merge check should be enough to push it towards player
14:07 octacian hmm, OK. I'll mess around.
14:07 benrob0329 Jordach: nice, needs a new button texture though
14:07 Jordach benrob0329, later ;)
14:07 octacian Jordach: Yeah, new texture and it'll be pretty nice.
14:08 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/5azOnAR.png
14:08 Jordach may change to a completely different icon
14:13 octacian tenplus1: shouldn't core.spawn_item be redefined as minetest.spawn_item?
14:13 octacian It's not recommended to use the core namespace at all in mods to my knowledge
14:13 Sokomine octacian: please don't add such a feature. item drop on dig is extremly annoying. it just adds load and unwanted movement. the mt solution is the better one
14:13 tenplus1 I'm replacing a system function, so I left it core.
14:13 tenplus1 agreed Sokomine, prefer punching items to pickup
14:13 octacian Sokomine: This is just for my subgame. I'd like it to be smooth and, well, slightly annoying.
14:14 octacian It means that you have to put in a little more effort to get items because you can't just punch it if it's in range.
14:14 Sokomine octacian: as long as it doesn't show up on good servers...
14:14 octacian My previous solution was to just add the entity to the inventory if within a block of it with no animation, and I may actually stick to that.
14:14 tenplus1 octacian:  use this: https://github.com/jordan4ibanez/item_drop
14:15 octacian Nope, it's an entirely different subgame.
14:15 octacian That's what it's based off, except probably was PilzAdam's older version/
14:15 benrob0329 https://github.com/ZahlGraf/IrrIMGUI
14:15 Sokomine it's not punch, it's dig...and usually i do get items when i put my hand around them and take them. throwing them to the floor first would be an accident
14:15 octacian One thing I'm definitely implementing though, is moving with water etc...
14:15 benrob0329 ^^^Irrlicht imgui backend
14:16 octacian I honestly don't quite agree, it makes sense for the items to be sitting where you dug them until you come close enough to pick up
14:17 tenplus1 the mod I posted from jordan4bainez does just what u ask... drops items on floor and picks them up when you walk near
14:17 Sokomine no problem as long as it's in your subgame and not mtg. that's the nice part after all: we can all create the games we want
14:17 Fixer in minecraft item drop makes a big sense, in gameplay, water transfer, hoppers, icy, etc
14:17 Fixer in minetest - there is no such mechanic in game
14:18 octacian Definitely going to use a combination of jordan4ibenez's item_drop and your builtin_item.
14:21 octacian tenplus1: you are aware the core.spawn_item isn't a function already? It's core.add_item.
14:23 tenplus1 it's been deprecated alresdy ?
14:23 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/tRe6X3s.png
14:23 Jordach m e o w
14:23 CWz I think stairs are broken in latest build
14:23 Jordach it's no longer misaligned and everything
14:23 CWz at least glass stairs
14:24 tenplus1 core.spawn_item is in latest defeault dev
14:24 tenplus1 which is why I replace core. function cause if it's copied into a local function like minetest.add_item then it still workd
14:24 tenplus1 https://github.com/minetest/minetest/blo​b/master/builtin/game/item_entity.lua#L3
14:29 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/WjUd9So.png
14:29 Jordach tenplus1, almost there :D
14:31 tenplus1 looking good
14:35 shivajiva ugh this is driving me nuts
14:35 tenplus1 whassup shiva?
14:36 shivajiva using /usr/local/bin/minetestserver --port 30001 --config ~/.minetest/skyblock.conf --gameid march --logfile ~/.minetest/logs/server/${TIMESTAMP}.txt --worldname skyblock
14:36 shivajiva 2017-05-08 16:32:00: WARNING[Main]: Couldn't find a locale directory!
14:36 shivajiva 2017-05-08 16:32:00: [Main]: World 'skyblock' not available. Available worlds:
14:36 shivajiva 2017-05-08 16:32:00: ERROR[Main]: Game "march" not found
14:36 shivajiva 2017-05-08 16:32:00: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Failed to initialize world
14:36 tenplus1 still not finding world
14:36 shivajiva nope n that's from an full installation
14:37 shivajiva all folders exist, it's like it doesn't know the path anymore
14:37 tenplus1 erk!
14:38 Jordach :thinking:
14:38 shivajiva doesn't matter what version I compile n install, always the same result
14:39 Jordach thoughts? blob:http://imgur.com/08923134-f​fed-4437-8b03-61325f651149
14:39 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/3Mu9ViQ.png
14:39 Jordach *REEEEEEE*
14:40 tenplus1 erk
14:40 tenplus1 if you increase the texture sizes does it still scale ok ?
14:40 Jordach tenplus1, no
14:40 Jordach Minetest is crap at it
14:40 Jordach MT doesn't even filter that result
14:40 tenplus1 dammit
14:40 Jordach let alone think about common sense
14:40 tenplus1 I would have assumed the img formspec item would have resized it inside boundaries
14:41 Jordach the muted green works for now
14:54 tenplus1 I wonder how the green would look with a grass pattern
14:55 benrob0329 Needs to have a nice retro flat theme
14:59 tenplus1 :P
15:10 tenplus1 if the main menu could use the same texture pack as in-game formspecs that would be great :) would add a nice front-end to the game, but I suppose it has to be scalable
15:19 Guest226147[m] joined #minetest-hub
15:28 octacian_ joined #minetest-hub
15:38 Fixer VanessaE: collision boxes are server side it seems, so server should update too
15:38 VanessaE no
15:39 VanessaE it broke in the client.
15:39 VanessaE fix it there.
15:39 Fixer VanessaE: parking brake and downshifting (if possible), it seems
15:40 VanessaE Fixer: to stop a runaway vehicle?  yes.
15:40 VanessaE if you can get it to slam into "park", you'll probably kill the transmission, but that'll also add more drag
15:41 red-001 isn't the issue that way for the server to set it was added but it used the wrong default vaule?
15:41 red-001 so the server has to be updated for it to work on new clients?
15:41 VanessaE red-001: no idea, all I know is it broke it for users on my servers whose clients are too new, and for that matter EVERY other server out there
15:42 red-001 I think a fix was pushed
15:42 VanessaE it wasn't.
15:43 red-001 https://github.com/minetest/minetest/commi​t/2d5bd7f414f8b8107254490af2360d6e29f1a8d2
15:43 red-001 or was that a diffrent issue?
15:43 VanessaE still broken for clients when playing on a server that has some mod that modifies the collision box
15:43 red-001 that sounds like a mod issue
15:43 Fixer Sokomine: when you blow up some tnt... you then realise some autopick up is needed %)
15:44 VanessaE it worked fine until this collision box change, red-001
15:44 tenplus1 oh crap......  invisibility mod no longer works properly
15:44 red-001 wait I though you couldn't chnage the collision box before?
15:44 VanessaE red-001: apparently it's mods that change some other player property
15:44 Fixer CWz: stairs are broken if you play on newest client and older server
15:44 red-001 selection box?
15:44 VanessaE idk what
15:45 Fixer Jordach: crappy texture
15:45 VanessaE Fixer:  you're lagging.
15:45 VanessaE (or responding to old scrollback anyway)
15:45 Fixer VanessaE: i don't drive much but what is park? We have manual transm everywhere
15:45 red-001 ^
15:46 benrob0329 Fixer: quit using Internet Explorer to view irc
15:46 Fixer confused
15:46 VanessaE Fixer: most cars in my country are Automatic
15:46 VanessaE they have a "park" setting that engages a locking pawl on the transmission output shaft
15:47 VanessaE it's basically "neutral" + locked output shaft
15:47 VanessaE that's about all
15:47 red-001 looks like some mods used the collision box as a selection box
15:47 Fixer VanessaE: oh ok, i'm reading old chat, yes
15:47 Guest226147[m] joined #minetest-hub
15:48 Fixer on May 6 or 7 there was change related to collision boxes
15:48 VanessaE the only mod I have that I can think of that would possibly affect this is cheapie's player_textures mod, but it doesn't change anything except the visual size, mesh, and texture (to get around the "flat skin" bug)
15:49 tenplus1 woah...  I just fell through solid world with collisionbox change
15:49 tenplus1 it's flawed
15:49 benrob0329 VanessaE: overlay chest textures just need to be fixed/combined, thats not hard...
15:50 VanessaE benrob0329: requires separate textures.
15:50 benrob0329 Heck, technic chest can be converted
15:50 benrob0329 why would it?
15:50 VanessaE you can't do a combine operation on a texture that has some larger version in a texture pack.
15:50 benrob0329 No...you would precombine it
15:50 benrob0329 Like..with gimp
15:50 VanessaE oh, in an image editor, sure.
15:50 VanessaE but the way the chests are done now is just stupid, I'm sorry to say
15:51 VanessaE there was zero legit reason to use a UV-mapped all-in-one texture
15:51 VanessaE it broke EVERY texture pack in existence.
15:51 benrob0329 so are fromspecs, which are even worse
15:52 tenplus1 agreed, chests should be left alone and use original textures
15:52 benrob0329 having a multi image uv map isn't easy last I checked.
15:52 VanessaE benrob0329: it's quite simple regardless of how many tiles are in the UV map
15:52 VanessaE I'd submit a pull request to fix this the right way, but it'll just be rejected
15:52 VanessaE so fuck it
15:52 benrob0329 unless each material has its own uv
15:53 VanessaE benrob0329: yeah, you can do that too.  each side of the chest can have its own material, with the left/right sharing one image, and the inside-top/inside-bottom having a separate image with two tiles in it
15:53 benrob0329 But you'd still have to redo some code
15:54 VanessaE but noooooooo that wouldn't follow the usual texture order in tiles={} and some texture maker might want asymmetric handles or some crap
15:54 benrob0329 You could have seperate side textures
15:54 VanessaE nope.
15:54 VanessaE you can only have six materials
15:54 benrob0329 shit
15:55 VanessaE so five for the outside - top, bottom, left/right, front, back
15:55 VanessaE a sixth one containing top-inside and bottom-inside textures for the open chest
15:55 benrob0329 yeah, thatd work
15:55 VanessaE you can assign the left/right image such that it's X-flipped on one side (via the UV map).  totally trivial
15:55 benrob0329 or
15:56 benrob0329 You could just combine the textures
15:56 benrob0329 And call it a day
15:56 VanessaE again,
15:56 benrob0329 Again you think ots stupid
15:56 VanessaE that breaks EVERY texture pack ever made, and a number of mods too.
15:57 benrob0329 If breaking changes can't be made, we wont move anywhere
15:57 VanessaE but we don't NEED to make a breaking change here
15:57 VanessaE that's the point
15:57 benrob0329 but the breaking change is more flexible
15:58 VanessaE that flexibility is kinda useless imho
15:58 benrob0329 but what if its not for someone else?
15:58 VanessaE well then they're wrong ;)
16:00 tenplus1 when setting player collisionbox, do you have to add the -1 offset manually or does it do taht for you ???
16:00 wayward1[m] joined #minetest-hub
16:00 benrob0329 even if it is objectively better to seperate a meshes textures for the sake of saving 5 minutes of work, why break it again?
16:00 benrob0329 You have to break it either way
16:01 VanessaE it isn't objectively better
16:01 benrob0329 So why not break it in a way that simplifies code?
16:01 VanessaE there's no difference in the code
16:01 benrob0329 Yes there is
16:01 tenplus1 keep default textures that are used by other mods and texture packs...
16:01 VanessaE this can entirely be handled in the tiles={} field and a proper model
16:02 benrob0329 Combining 6, vs 1 tile
16:02 VanessaE no
16:02 tenplus1 would rather have 6 tiles so other mods can use them
16:02 tenplus1 instead of 1
16:02 VanessaE that's not really "code"
16:02 benrob0329 If that's not code, then all of imagemagic is just random text
16:03 VanessaE this ain't imagemagick :)
16:03 benrob0329 No, its a voxek game engine, with a game built on top
16:03 benrob0329 And mods built on top of a developing game
16:04 VanessaE which is exactly why one should not break things this badly.
16:04 benrob0329 notice "developing"
16:04 benrob0329 Things will break, it just happens
16:04 VanessaE no
16:04 VanessaE this takes that concept too far
16:05 benrob0329 its a single gosh darn texture
16:05 tenplus1 yup... we have to at least try to keep compatibility for mod makers and current worlds
16:05 VanessaE breakage should only happen when there's no other viable way to get something done.
16:05 VanessaE it's not a single texture, it's half a dozen textures, times every mod and texture pack that modifies them
16:05 sofar what the actual, same discussion in here?
16:05 VanessaE do you realize how many man-hours that's gonna cost?
16:05 VanessaE sofar:
16:05 sofar the PR was open for a year
16:05 sofar the PR was open for a year
16:05 VanessaE so five for the outside - top, bottom, left/right, front, back
16:05 VanessaE a sixth one containing top-inside and bottom-inside textures for the open chest
16:06 VanessaE that is how it should have been mapped.
16:06 sofar bullcrap
16:06 sofar fuck no
16:06 benrob0329 And a lot more complex code
16:06 VanessaE benrob0329: NO!
16:06 VanessaE it's not complex code, jeez
16:06 benrob0329 For the pipeworks overlay it is, and that's whats broken atm
16:06 benrob0329 One thing at least
16:07 tenplus1 sofar: is there any reason you changed chest inventory from 'main' to 'default:game' ???
16:07 VanessaE https://github.com/minetest-mods/pipewor​ks/blob/master/compat-chests.lua#L38-L45
16:07 VanessaE this is complex to you, benrob0329 ?
16:07 VanessaE sofar: so, why exactly?
16:07 VanessaE "fuck no" and "bullcrap" aren't especially good arguments here.
16:07 benrob0329 I thought it used an overlay modifier
16:08 benrob0329 I guess I was wrong
16:08 VanessaE benrob0329: it does.  the modifier is defined in the "tube_entry" variable a bit up
16:08 * Fixer dives out of chat
16:08 benrob0329 But still, is combining a texture really all that hard?
16:08 VanessaE benrob0329: baking a combined texture in GIMP or so is easy enough, but that isn't the point
16:09 benrob0329 Anyone can do it for a texture pack, **anyone**
16:10 benrob0329 Mod developers need to change a few lines of code
16:10 benrob0329 This is noy
16:10 benrob0329 i repeatis not
16:10 benrob0329 That bad
16:10 VanessaE that's the whole point, benrob0329.  change it in one mod, rather than 100 texture packs.
16:10 sofar VanessaE: fuck no, and bullcrap, are perfectly reasonable responses to waking up monday morning and seeng a waterfall of people bitch and moan to a pull request that has been pending for twelve months
16:11 sofar excuse me while I foam to the mouth for a few days
16:11 VanessaE sofar: to be fair, I don't recall having heard about the chests thing until shortly before it went in.
16:11 tenplus1 same
16:11 VanessaE and you know full well how easy it is for people to forget something like that exists at all
16:11 tenplus1 https://github.com/minetes​t/minetest_game/pull/1731
16:11 benrob0329 I've been bring it up for months
16:11 VanessaE so, again... let's just fix the fucking thing the right way
16:12 benrob0329 Begging to have it merged, and you tell me you've only heard about it recently?
16:12 sofar well, I aint going to look at it until I have time wednsesday, maybe later
16:12 sofar I'm also moving this week and I might not even have my computer or internet working for a week
16:12 VanessaE benrob0329: actually, yeah.  I don't pay too-close attention to dev because this ^^^ sort of thing always happens.
16:13 VanessaE sofar: well that sucks
16:13 VanessaE sofar: if I could have been sure you'd give it a fair shake (considering you're obviously pissed), I would make a PR right now to fix it the right way
16:13 VanessaE but since I know it'll just be rejected by either you or paramat, fuck it
16:13 tenplus1 o.O Vanessa, if you can fix it please do...
16:14 sofar eh I have to talk to corporate IT folks for 3 days, maybe better to wait until that's all done
16:14 sofar not a good motivator
16:16 VanessaE sofar: let's put it this way:  my five- or six-image idea above got a "fuck no" and "bullcrap".  Why should I even try now?
16:16 benrob0329 VanessaE: your complaining about a change, after its already been commited
16:17 sofar just wait until I'm more agreeable
16:17 sofar like, after I get a few sips of tea in
16:17 * tenplus1 got invisibility mod working ok with new collisionbox changes
16:17 VanessaE sofar: just FYI if things have to wait until after your move, it'll be too late.  feature freeze soon
16:18 benrob0329 This, is, exactly, the problem.
16:18 red-001 just call it a fix then
16:18 benrob0329 We can't change anything because someone wont be happy
16:18 sofar well more importantly the `main` thing is likely something we don't need
16:18 tenplus1 dude, you just broke compatibility with many mods in changing it
16:18 tenplus1 that's why I put up a pull to revert it back
16:19 benrob0329 oh hell no, do not remove a feature. Fix it.
16:19 benrob0329 And if you wont.fix it
16:20 benrob0329 idk, I can make a good argument atm
16:20 tenplus1 ben, the 'main' inventory was changed to 'default:chest' which breaks many mods... it's not a feature
16:20 red-001 ^
16:20 benrob0329 opening chests is something that should have been done a long time ago
16:21 sofar tenplus1: fuck off if you want me to +1 your PR
16:21 tenplus1 it's a nice bit of eye candy, but it could easily have been done using current textures and not removing them and adding a new one entirely...
16:21 tenplus1 sofar: manners please
16:22 red-001 hasn't this already been discussed in the issue?
16:22 benrob0329 yes
16:22 benrob0329 Extensively
16:22 benrob0329 For a year
16:22 sofar tenplus1: https://github.com/minetes​t/minetest_game/pull/1731
16:22 red-001 why was then inventory renamed anyway?
16:23 sofar a mistake, by me
16:24 red-001 as for texture packs wouldn't the front face be broken anyway?
16:24 sofar look I'm not angry at being pointed out mistakes
16:24 sofar I'm angry that it took a year
16:24 sofar first mistake is already solved
16:24 sofar thanks to good observance by tenplus1
16:24 tenplus1 if the inv name is reverted then that's half the battle...
16:24 tenplus1 old textures re-added for compatibility, great
16:24 sofar I just +1'd it and tested it
16:24 red-001 in fairness someone did point out the inventory thing last year
16:25 red-001 well some issues are to be expected with a major change
16:25 sofar I don't understand the need for the texture changes yet, though
16:26 tenplus1 texture packs mostly...
16:26 tenplus1 none will work without a lot of re-editing
16:27 VanessaE and I pointed out in IRC before it was merged, how I hate the texture usage
16:28 sofar that's a ball-and-chain argument
16:29 VanessaE ?
16:29 sofar the type of argument that ends up slowing everyone down to maintain backwards compatibility
16:29 VanessaE well that's not the intent
16:30 sofar I'm aware it's not the intent
16:30 sofar but it's the effect
16:31 sofar I really don't like the idea to make left/right sides identical
16:31 sofar same for insides
16:32 sofar there's 8 square parts to the UV map, not 5
16:32 sofar or 6
16:32 VanessaE wait no
16:32 VanessaE that's not what I said
16:32 sofar I can only imagine that the best way to UV map it is to allow all sides to be textured arbitrarily
16:32 sofar which is what it does right now
16:33 VanessaE on the closed chest, top, bottom, front, left, and back would be unique.  right would be the left image X-flipped via UV map.  top-inside and bottom-inside would be taken from the sixth texture entry, two tiles in it, UV mapped.
16:33 VanessaE so you get the effect of having 8 images while only using six image slots.
16:34 VanessaE 100% compatible with existing textures, save for the unavoidable problem of where the chest top/bottom split is, of course.
16:35 sofar wouldn't that break old chests with new texture packs?
16:35 VanessaE nope.
16:35 sofar also, it sounds like gymnastics
16:35 VanessaE as long as the filenames are the same
16:36 sofar but most importantly, it breaks the possibility of texturing the insides differently as well as the left being different than the right
16:36 VanessaE mp
16:36 VanessaE no
16:36 VanessaE it doesn't.
16:36 sofar yes
16:36 sofar it does
16:36 VanessaE no.
16:36 sofar mirroring isn't the same thing
16:36 VanessaE two images in that tile entry
16:36 VanessaE UV-mapped.
16:37 VanessaE you can have arbitrary UV mapping per tile
16:37 sofar I can't write "left" on the left side and "right" on the right hand side if the right hand side is a mirrored version of the left side
16:37 Jordach *extreme autistic screeching*
16:37 sofar Jordach: go make pretty pixels
16:37 VanessaE sofar: no, you couldn't.  why would you even try to do so?
16:37 VanessaE I mean really
16:38 Jordach sofar, http://i.imgur.com/9xRosJr.png :D
16:38 VanessaE in practice, who's gonna make left and right be anything other than mirror images of one another?
16:38 sofar Jordach: keep going
16:38 sofar VanessaE: right now, nobody, because it's not possible
16:38 Jordach sofar, will need a by hand merge into existing code, then need an android run
16:38 VanessaE sofar: and since it isn't possible, why add that possibility at the expense of compatibility?
16:39 sofar because fixing a texture pack takes less time than this discussion
16:39 VanessaE um
16:39 VanessaE try it.
16:39 VanessaE especially HDX :P
16:39 sofar gimp
16:39 sofar canvas size
16:39 sofar 4x wider
16:39 Jordach VanessaE, sofar, easier solution: go take the MC chest unwrap and use that :^)
16:39 sofar 2x higher
16:39 Jordach Kappa
16:39 sofar open tiles
16:39 VanessaE now do it again, and again, for every one of the however many texture packs there are out there
16:40 sofar copy + paste 6x
16:40 sofar meuh an imagemagick script could automate it
16:40 sofar convert -tile ....
16:40 benrob0329 ^^ someone write a script
16:40 VanessaE remember that you can't just fix one texture set, you have to fix it for every set of textures that go with any mod that redefines the chest.
16:41 Jordach sofar, old settings; http://i.imgur.com/KTxc8lf.png
16:41 Jordach new settings http://i.imgur.com/WjUd9So.png
16:41 VanessaE or I should say, any mod that copies the chest and makes some new one out of it
16:41 sofar most chest modifications I've seen were verbatim copies of the entire code
16:41 nore sofar: your opinion on this please? https://github.com/minetest/minete​st_game/pull/1731/files#r115290672 :/
16:42 sofar Jordach: still not enough pretty ... lol
16:42 benrob0329 MT needs a retro flat theme imo
16:42 Jordach sofar, what, you expect me to produce a background?
16:42 Jordach instead of the current box[]
16:42 Jordach sofar, from unbalanced crap to a perfect 33.33% column
16:43 Jordach and i've now figured out exactly how fstk works
16:44 Krock joined #minetest-hub
16:44 tenplus1 hi Krock
16:44 Krock hi tenplus1
16:44 Krock uh
16:44 benrob0329 Hi Krock
16:44 Krock hi benrob0329
16:44 Jordach sofar, i'll improve it as much as humanly possible
16:47 * Jordach thinks about adding 1x1 images beside each button describing things
16:47 Krock ^ likes to play Cards Against Humanity
16:47 tenplus1 lol
16:48 Jordach is there a way to disable that semi-transparent crap from formspecs or not
16:48 Krock give them a new background?
16:48 VanessaE sofar: so.  am I to assume then, that there'd be no point in making a PR to fix the chest textures as I've described?
16:51 sofar I
16:52 sofar I'm not going to -1 it, I'll leave it to others to decide
16:52 Krock sounds good but the textures won't always fit
16:53 Krock either way we'll have 6 textures in total
16:53 VanessaE Krock: that's the plan.
16:53 sofar Jordach: there's a relatively new commit that allows changing opacity of the menus
16:53 Jordach sfan5, build pl0x
16:53 sofar I'm just a huge fan of allowing true arbitrary UV mapping
16:53 sofar I think it should be the default
16:53 VanessaE sofar: so why can't we just increase the number of tiles={} slots?
16:53 sfan5 Jordach: sure
16:54 VanessaE what fundamentally limits us to 6?
16:54 sofar engine, and protocol I think
16:54 VanessaE (I realize *why* the limit exists, but well...it's a limit)
16:54 VanessaE I know that but I meant, why can't it just be increased?
16:54 VanessaE just make it unlimited - the unix way:  allow 1, or allow an infinite number
16:55 VanessaE if that means a protocol bump, that's fine.  0.4.16 is right around the corner anyway
16:55 VanessaE this isn't the first time that having only 6 tiles entries got in the way of a good mesh :)
16:56 VanessaE (well maybe it is for mt_game, but I meant for my own mods)
16:58 VanessaE if it were bumped up accordingly, you could just map in 8 separate image files, and no one would have to update anything
16:59 Jordach sofar, bgcolor[#00000000]
16:59 VanessaE (assuming the usual behavior of repeating the last-specified image for all remaining materials/sides in the node, old mods would just show the "back" image for the inside of the chest, if it's even visible in that mod)
16:59 Jordach (as string)
17:00 VanessaE wouldn't that be the most logical solution?
17:01 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/qIUivia.png
17:01 Jordach sofar, WOOOOOO
17:02 sofar not sure I like plain clouds as a bg myself
17:02 sofar but, progress
17:02 sofar lime green though?
17:02 Jordach sofar, used a modified progress bar
17:03 Jordach fun fact, UTF-8 emoji breaks the forum software entirely
17:05 Jordach fff
17:06 Krock eeks. keep the grayish buttons!
17:07 red-001 ^
17:07 Sokomine VanessaE: yes, i had that player box collusion issue a few hours ago as well. reverted to an earlier commit and compiled again. singleplayer (which i'm currently needing most) wasn't affected
17:07 VanessaE Jordach: toldya the colors were too garish for a menu :)
17:07 Jordach VanessaE, it's not like they're placeholder
17:07 VanessaE I'd replace them with a much darker green, maybe the color of mt_game grass
17:08 red-001 maybe this could be the menu for the android version? and the tabs could be keept of the pc/mac version
17:08 Jordach fuck those tabs
17:08 red-001 they are faster to use
17:08 Jordach "hurr durr i can't take change"
17:08 Sokomine Fixer: autopickup is ok. useful for gathering saplings. tnt isn't good - that's banned from my worlds :-)
17:08 red-001 "hurr durr too much clicking"
17:09 Jordach red-001, yet every other game i've played has had it that way
17:09 red-001 I don't care if it's as fast as tabs or faster
17:10 red-001 apprently shit menus are an industry standard
17:10 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/hpBZEEC.png
17:10 red-001 well I don't like tabs that much either
17:10 Jordach VanessaE, ^
17:11 VanessaE Jordach: +1 now you just need more contrast around the edges
17:11 red-001 just try to minism the number of clicks needed to get to any part of the menu
17:11 VanessaE maybe just a darker shadow
17:11 benrob0329 (Offtopic) https://youtu.be/CM-CIvMEqUs
17:11 red-001 E.g add a way to access advance settings right from the main menu
17:12 VanessaE Jordach: though honestly I think I'd go for double the resolution on those images
17:12 VanessaE they're a little blocky compared to the font
17:12 Jordach VanessaE, like gimme a sec
17:12 benrob0329 we need a new font then :P
17:13 benrob0329 Not hard to read, just retro looking
17:13 Jordach VHS OSD font
17:13 Jordach *that* font
17:13 VanessaE heh
17:13 * Krock reads "[Dubstep]"   and quickly uses Ctrl+W
17:13 Krock Jordach, comic sans pls :P
17:14 VanessaE commodore 64 font :)
17:14 VanessaE that's retro :)
17:15 benrob0329 Krock: ctrl W?
17:15 Krock closes the tab
17:15 Krock and Ctrl+Shift+W reopens it
17:15 benrob0329 oh, yeah its not a hard dubatep
17:15 Krock (warning: may crash your browser)
17:15 benrob0329 I dont like most dub
17:20 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/Oa5lfE8.png
17:20 Jordach VanessaE,
17:20 VanessaE much better
17:20 VanessaE put the bright/dark on the left/right also
17:21 VanessaE and make the font bigger
17:21 VanessaE and I think you have a winner
17:21 VanessaE I mean put it on the left/right also
17:22 Jordach i feel like dropping some flat shaded cubes at the bottom
17:22 VanessaE so that it looks like the light source is above and to the left
17:22 garywhite Is that gonna be the new start screen for MT?
17:22 Krock benrob0329, okay, gave it a try. Definitely not my taste :<
17:25 benrob0329 Krock: fair enough
17:26 CWz hey VanessaE
17:26 VanessaE hi.
17:26 benrob0329 (Offtopic, why cant this stuff hapen with FlightGear?) https://youtu.be/LfY5eL6xT6M
17:26 benrob0329 Jordach: OH SHOOT
17:27 benrob0329 Daz iz comin togathir
17:27 Jordach VCR font wen
17:27 Jordach blob:http://imgur.com/d4c13489-2​0a3-4016-9508-d0a0b32c7ec3
17:27 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/GWpWloe.png
17:27 Jordach every fucking time
17:31 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/Uj2fpgQ.png
17:31 Jordach might just build a large texture
17:31 Jordach for them specifically
17:41 rubenwardy joined #minetest-hub
17:41 tenplus1 wb rubenwardy
17:44 rubenwardy yo
17:45 Shara Hello all
17:45 Krock hi Shara
17:45 tenplus1 hi Sha
17:45 tenplus1 hi Shara
17:45 Shara That was qyuick Krock :P
17:45 Shara quick*
17:45 Krock ^^
17:45 Shara Hi Ten
17:48 shivajiva joined #minetest-hub
17:48 tenplus1 wb shivajiva
17:50 shivajiva thanks
17:54 Sokomine VanessaE: hmm. any mod that copies the chest (and it textures) and modifies it somehow? that kind of applies to the majority of my mods. as i can't do textures it's usually the chest that's working as a placeholder
17:55 VanessaE sofar: ^^
17:55 Sokomine Jordach, Krock: hm, yes, that semitransparent formspec background is giving me trouble as well. could do with a nice background for citybuilder...
17:55 VanessaE see also my expand-past-6 proposal
17:58 * CWz wonders what would happen if i were to insert a 1 YB Harddrive into his computer
17:58 Krock s/ i / he /
17:58 benrob0329 *universe explodes*
17:58 benrob0329 *gone wrong*
17:59 Krock CWz, no FAT16 partitions :'(
18:00 tenplus1 lol
18:01 tenplus1 ext4 all the way
18:02 * Sokomine takes cwz' extremly large hd and uses it for backups
18:06 red-001 ext4 only supports partitions upto one exbibyte
18:06 tenplus1 o.O only ? lol
18:06 tenplus1 I has 120gb ssd
18:07 red-001 zfs is better with 256 quadrillion zebibytes
18:08 DS-minetest joined #minetest-hub
18:10 DS-minetest_ joined #minetest-hub
18:10 cx384 joined #minetest-hub
18:12 tenplus1 laters
18:12 tenplus1 left #minetest-hub
18:14 octacian__ joined #minetest-hub
18:20 Fixer_ joined #minetest-hub
18:37 CWz i wonder if anyones uses ext3 still
18:38 * CWz wonders why pendrives use fat32
18:39 red-001 old windows
18:40 red-001 well it could use ntfs
18:40 red-001 but support for that isn't great on mac
18:42 Krock exfat would be quite nice but m$ is lean and mean
18:43 CWz howabout ext4
18:44 red-001 you need to install a driver on windows
18:44 Krock the only really good working glue between these OS' is FAT32, sadly.
18:44 red-001 I know the horror
18:44 red-001 plus what about printers and the like?
18:45 kaeza joined #minetest-hub
18:45 red-001 a lot of those only bother to support fat32
18:46 Krock yeah
18:46 CWz dang where is FAT64 when you need it
18:47 CWz i wonder what format CD/DVD roms use
18:48 benrob0329 ZFS ftw
19:06 * Jordach silently reworks buttonbar.lua
19:20 * Sokomine puts a formspec in front of jordach that cries for a nicer background
19:20 Jordach Sokomine, reee
19:20 Sokomine :-)
19:22 Jordach Sokomine, unfortunately, singleplayer is the area where it doesn't apply
19:22 Jordach although....
19:23 * Jordach has an idea cooking
19:23 Sokomine er, why not?
19:24 Jordach singleplayer games can have backgrounds covering the clouds
19:24 Sokomine what i need is a nice background that looks like old paper. that's a very popular background for menus in this kind of game
19:24 Jordach ew
19:24 Jordach no
19:24 Sokomine why not?
19:24 Jordach probably will take some soft materials
19:24 Jordach eg, a wooden border for most backgrounds on smooth stone
19:25 Sokomine ah. yes. for backgrounds in general that might be a good idea
19:25 Sokomine i'm looking for a special one for a specific situation
19:25 Jordach ah, this concerns the super main menu
19:26 Jordach it's based on the old one, using te same stuff
19:26 Jordach i've just made it so it resembles a more modern menu
19:26 Sokomine that's fine. the menu definitely can use some graphical improvements
19:27 Jordach Sokomine, http://i.imgur.com/Uj2fpgQ.png+
19:27 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/Uj2fpgQ.png
19:27 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/qIUivia.png
19:27 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/uKbrIal.png more upto date
19:29 Sokomine jordach: the font seems a bit odd. it's important that it can be easily read
19:30 Sokomine maybe black on that green background. or something else with more contrast (dark green? brown?)
19:31 Sokomine the last one looks very nice. still a bit low on contrast
19:32 Sokomine i like the green buttons :-) just needs to be easier readable
19:33 Jordach sofar, given the ping bars better colours to identify ping better http://i.imgur.com/2CwSVUc.png
19:33 Jordach (also re-did the icon for PvP, how did the last one even pass?!?)
19:34 Jordach likewise, it'll get improved in time
19:38 Jordach yay, got em in line properly http://i.imgur.com/Pb0UCkL.png
19:39 benrob0329 Noice
19:41 Sokomine looks very nice, jordach
19:49 Calinou hi
19:49 Calinou http://sauerbraten.org/
19:49 Calinou if anyone wants to play, I'm on the Trouble in SauerTown server
19:49 Calinou it's a minigame
19:49 Calinou :P
19:53 Jordach Sokomine, problem is, doing these are a pain http://i.imgur.com/ur1TEax.png
19:54 Jordach (and because MT has no filter for scaling...ugh)
20:07 Jordach there, old grey box removed from credits http://i.imgur.com/Lz2yfJb.png
20:19 kaeza joined #minetest-hub
20:32 Sokomine what was that option for "no time passes ingame" again? i always forget :-(
20:33 rubenwardy time_speed 0
20:33 Sokomine oh! that looks very nice, jordach. i like that blackboard-like style
20:34 Sokomine maybe make the green slightly darker for better contrast with the white text?
20:39 RobbieF left #minetest-hub
20:48 Sokomine aah. thanks. i don't know why i never manage to remember that...
20:59 Sokomine grr. mod_security is very annoying
21:00 Calinou turns out mod_security was created by the guy who made the Windows 10 upgrade offer dialog
21:04 Jordach R O A S T E D
21:04 rubenwardy joined #minetest-hub
21:05 Jordach rubenwardy, ayy lmao
21:06 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/Bc76Qr7.png
21:14 Calinou put a background, it's not very readable right now
21:15 Calinou change the checkbox colors too
21:15 Calinou they're horrible
21:15 Calinou and have been since 2010… :(
21:15 Jordach can't change core irrlicht shit
21:15 Calinou you sure? SuperTuxKart did it
21:18 garywhite helo
21:18 garywhite hello*
21:18 red-001 they forked irrl*cht
21:20 Jordach i've almost wired up the new mainmenu
21:22 Jordach just a few spots that need their changes
21:23 Jordach only part i can't touch is core.show_keys_menu()
21:23 Jordach aka keybindings
21:23 garywhite Jordach: Will this be in 0.4.16?
21:24 garywhite or 0.5?
21:24 Jordach garywhite, either or
21:24 red-001 jordach the c++ gui code is easier to work with then formspecs
21:24 Jordach red-001, you don't say
21:24 Jordach :^))))
21:24 red-001 it's still a mess ofc
21:24 red-001 but less
21:24 Jordach i'd write a true UI lib
21:25 Jordach but then i'd end up writing CEF
21:25 red-001 displaying stuff is more logical but getting input is harder
21:25 Jordach a pseudo drop in for formspecs should be in 0.5.x
21:26 red-001 formspecs should be rewriten to use lua tables
21:27 Jordach no
21:27 Jordach just.
21:27 Jordach no.
21:27 Jordach if you listened carefully, you heard autistic screeching
21:27 red-001 so you want to contuin to use strings?
21:27 red-001 have fun
21:44 Jordach i've even polished advanced settings text dialogs
21:44 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/n23ZITV.png
21:45 Nathans21 joined #minetest-hub
21:45 Sokomine hmm. dirt under a nodebox does loose its grass now...was something changed regarding lighting? or does it only affect dirt?
21:47 benrob0329 All for replacing Formspecs with Imgui, say I(mgui)
21:48 Sokomine don't really know that, benrob, so i can't tell. what produces most pain in creating formspec is positioning of texts that may be more than one line long
21:49 Hijiri also layout
21:49 Hijiri GUI shouldn't require manual placement of elements in the common case
21:49 benrob0329 Formspecs are a pain in general
21:49 Hijiri though some kind of layout manager must be doable on top of formspecs already
21:50 Hijiri if someone wanted to write it (I don't, or at least I wouldn't know where to start)
21:50 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/EXEL5px.png
21:50 Jordach getting there :)
21:50 benrob0329 I shouldn't have to wrap my head around a whole new paradigm just to create a text box
21:50 Jordach blob:http://imgur.com/a55686d0-5​525-46f9-94bd-074ca31b821e
21:50 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/QeUp1zN.png
21:50 Jordach arrrrg
21:50 Hijiri if a new GUI library is put in you would have to learn that new library anyway
21:51 Hijiri unless you already knew it
21:51 halt_ joined #minetest-hub
21:51 Grandolf joined #minetest-hub
21:55 benrob0329 Basically the way imgui does things is
21:55 benrob0329 Start()
21:55 benrob0329 If(Widet)
21:55 benrob0329 End()
21:56 benrob0329 that's way oversimplified, but that's a generalized rundown of how stupidly simple it is
21:56 * Jordach hears the C64 Commando bassline again
22:00 Hijiri benrob0329: imgui looks good, and I would support it being used in the engine, but there's no reason something on top of formspecs couldn't be simple
22:01 Hijiri I mean, the API
22:01 Hijiri formspec is a mess so likely the implementation will still be messy
22:02 benrob0329 I would just impliment this to replace formspecs, but keep them around for compatibility in the mean time
22:06 garywhite Hmm...I just thought, maybe I'll refer a few people that I know who play MC to MT
22:07 Hijiri might be good for feedback
22:08 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/daA21t3.png
22:09 rubenwardy joined #minetest-hub
22:09 Jordach rubenwardy, http://i.imgur.com/daA21t3.png
22:09 Jordach :D
22:10 paramat joined #minetest-hub
22:11 Jordach everything is working except mods and textures
22:15 ssieb joined #minetest-hub
22:20 Calinou rounded corners are evil, btw :P
22:20 Calinou at least when not used well
22:26 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/E5w820z.png
22:27 Calinou still better than deleting the world "NUL"
22:27 Calinou ;)
22:27 Calinou what did you draw in the sky?
22:28 Jordach https://github.com/Jordach/Solar_P​lains/blob/master/menu/header.png
22:31 Calinou looks a bit like a lenny face to me :P
22:35 Jordach took a bitch to get these re-centered
22:35 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/VqzJMXl.png
22:38 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/YwngOL9.png
22:38 Jordach hot fire
22:39 * Jordach prods VanessaE
22:46 paramat joined #minetest-hub
23:13 Jordach http://i.imgur.com/Ask83i7.png
23:13 Jordach :thonking:
23:15 Calinou Never gonna mod the game, never gonna texture it down…
23:15 Jordach Calinou, https://cdn.discordapp.com/e​mojis/304664216672141313.png
23:17 Jordach at least i have a working sense of humour
23:31 Jordach allllllmost there
23:31 Jordach things missing: dialog_configure_world
23:31 Jordach tab_mods

| Channels | #minetest-hub index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext