Minetest logo

IRC log for #minetest-dev, 2017-03-27

| Channels | #minetest-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 kaeza but please make up our mind
00:00 paramat i'm overruled already
00:01 kaeza uh, did not see rubenwardy's comment
00:01 paramat i can only go by screenshots and the new screenshot shows unpleasant distortion, sorry
00:01 kaeza yeah, that could be useful I guess
00:01 paramat i'm wondering if icons can ever look good due to scaling
00:05 paramat https://github.com/minetest/minetest_​game/pull/1666#issuecomment-289321050 this looked good so i supported but perhaps that was just luck there was no distortion (but there is on the dustbin)
00:05 Guest30080 joined #minetest-dev
00:06 ^v joined #minetest-dev
00:08 paramat rubenwardy sofar #5439 ?
00:08 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5439 -- Add pointed_thing_to_face_pos to misc_helpers and doc by MarkuBu
00:09 troller joined #minetest-dev
00:10 paramat beginning to think best left as ? X < >
00:11 rubenwardy reviewing
00:13 Halt_ joined #minetest-dev
00:20 paramat thanks
00:32 troller joined #minetest-dev
00:35 paramat sorry kaeza
00:59 paramat #5464 simple PR to avoid ladder breakage, sofar ?
00:59 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5464 -- Sneak: Set 'sneak glitch' setting default to 'false' by paramat
01:01 VanessaE paramat: can you also review #5453 ? \ (I note that you already commented on it)
01:01 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5453 -- Fix upside down textures by numberZero
01:03 paramat hm i need to look at that yeah
01:05 VanessaE thanks.
02:15 paramat will merge 5377 5440 in a moment
02:20 paramat merging
02:28 paramat complete. mapgen limit finally sorted
02:42 ^v joined #minetest-dev
03:41 Puka joined #minetest-dev
04:16 DI3HARD139 joined #minetest-dev
04:19 Puka joined #minetest-dev
04:31 RandomX45 joined #minetest-dev
05:06 Hunterz joined #minetest-dev
05:07 nerzhul joined #minetest-dev
05:54 ^v joined #minetest-dev
05:57 johnnyjoy joined #minetest-dev
06:37 ^v joined #minetest-dev
07:25 Darcidride joined #minetest-dev
07:37 kilbith joined #minetest-dev
07:47 nrzkt joined #minetest-dev
08:00 ^v joined #minetest-dev
08:11 TvAntenna joined #minetest-dev
08:11 ^v joined #minetest-dev
08:11 TvAntenna left #minetest-dev
08:11 TvAntenna joined #minetest-dev
08:12 TvAntenna Hello
08:17 glut32 joined #minetest-dev
08:17 Lunatrius` joined #minetest-dev
08:33 RandomX45 joined #minetest-dev
08:39 ^v joined #minetest-dev
08:46 glut32 I have a question about the bump of the protocol : Should I only increment by 1 the LATEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION const in "minetest\src\network\networkprotocol.h" ?
08:51 nrzkt glut32: hi, yes it's exact should should update this value, and ensure backward compat if needed, depending on which modification you do (in the packet handler)
08:53 glut32 thanks it's ok for me. It will be commited ASAP
08:54 glut32 I added also a comment about this new protocol version like others previous protocols
08:57 nrzkt nice, what do you need in protocol ?
08:58 kilbith he needs to bump the formspec API version to be backward compat with old clients with this PR : https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5395
09:00 nrzkt i saw this comment, but i'm not sure it's the protocol version, it's not logical, because yo ucannot strip new flags in cpp, we don't have any formspec rewriter server side
09:02 kilbith this is what Krock told me anyway (i.e. bumping the API version)
09:08 glut32 it's commited !
09:09 nrzkt thanks, it doesn't seems logical to me, by anyway if it's our current solution
09:11 nrzkt i think we should have a real discussion with other coredevs about formspecs as it's very anoying to have this versioning problem, minimum is to ignore error on screen, just in console
09:16 ^v joined #minetest-dev
09:23 Lunatrius` joined #minetest-dev
09:27 Lunatrius joined #minetest-dev
09:30 ^v joined #minetest-dev
10:00 lisac joined #minetest-dev
10:00 Fixer joined #minetest-dev
10:25 sfan5 kilbith: there is a seperate formspec version thing
10:25 sfan5 the protocol has nothing to do with this
10:27 nrzkt FORMSPEC_VERSION_STRING
10:27 sfan5 however i'd suggest doing it the way rubenwardy suggested
10:27 nrzkt FORMSPEC_API_VERSION
10:28 nrzkt but it's 1
10:28 nrzkt ((parts.size() > 3) && (m_formspec_version > FORMSPEC_API_VERSION)))
10:28 nrzkt it seems it's managed like this in guiFormSpecMenu
10:29 sfan5 yeah however it doesn't really help with compat in this case
10:42 nrzkt sfan5: thanks for the review, i removed the test commits & update the condition you pointed
10:42 nrzkt (for the clang-format)
10:42 nrzkt waiting for your stamp :)
10:43 nrzkt when i get time after merge i will create a script to look at all recent PR to see which files are modified and pass clang-format on non affected files + open a new pr
11:08 rubenwardy joined #minetest-dev
11:16 YuGiOhJCJ joined #minetest-dev
11:28 glut32 I forget something about the protocol bump : I think that I must to modify the PROTOCOL_ID const
11:38 sfan5 no no don't modify that one
11:49 troller joined #minetest-dev
12:01 nrzkt glut32: no, please rever tthe change on protocol version & bump formspec_api_version
12:02 kilbith he has already squashed I'm afraid
12:02 kilbith though that may work with `git reflog`
12:42 Darcidride joined #minetest-dev
12:43 rubenwardy the problem with bumping the version is that you would still get the problem on old servers
12:43 rubenwardy which is why I'd prefer a style[] tag
12:44 nrzkt but style is a bit hacky, we may fix this versioning problem before release permitting to enhance our formspec interface which is old and like a rock
12:44 rubenwardy as an API, I think style[] is better
12:44 rubenwardy the entire formspec code isn't particularly nice
12:45 kilbith we'd be less annoyed with backward compat if formspecs were tables
13:01 nrzkt oh in pg we use a wrong statement on delete block, it's a trivial fix (changing name of the statement...) i will push this to fix #5426
13:01 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5426 -- /deleteblocks does nothing when using postgres backend
13:01 nrzkt on delete we are doing... select
13:04 nrzkt https://github.com/minetest/minetest/commi​t/a9878a0da56834eb23e3c05d505e5dbec4c81b88
13:04 nrzkt pushed, we are less conservative now :)
13:20 Mazemanwill_ joined #minetest-dev
13:23 rubenwardy joined #minetest-dev
13:31 turtleman joined #minetest-dev
13:32 nrzkt merging #5459
13:33 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5459 -- clang-format: add a whitelist by nerzhul
13:33 nrzkt do you think it's possible before next century to have more commits on minetest repo than celeron 55
13:56 octacian joined #minetest-dev
14:14 XtremeHacker joined #minetest-dev
14:17 kilbith effectivement
14:17 kilbith oops, wrong tab
14:19 XtremeHacker joined #minetest-dev
14:27 kaeza joined #minetest-dev
15:55 cheapie Does CSM have any way to send chat messages to the local player yet? I'm not seeing one.
15:55 red-002 yes
15:55 red-002 display_chat_message
15:56 cheapie Thanks. Maybe that should be added to the docs...
15:56 red-002 it should be....
15:56 red-002 maybe it somehow got lost when merging
15:56 cheapie I'm assuming so. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/minete​st/minetest/master/doc/client_lua_api.md is the official document for this, right?
15:57 red-002 yes
15:57 red-002 or I forgot to add it
15:57 Hunterz joined #minetest-dev
15:57 red-002 I think the doc wasn't around when basic stuff like that was being added
15:57 cheapie Well, now you know it's missing :P
15:57 * red-002 goes off to make a PR
15:59 proller__ joined #minetest-dev
15:59 red-002 I should fix up the doc in general
15:59 cheapie Yeah, I saw a few odd things about it.
15:59 cheapie (such as the ending appears to be cut off)
16:00 red-002 whats missing from the ending?
16:00 cheapie It also says "Mods are contained and ran solely on the server side.", which is a bit out-of-place now, especially in client_lua_api.md.
16:00 cheapie The ending appears to say "For named colors the hexadecimal string representing the alpha value must (always) be two hexadecima"
16:01 * red-002 has failed at ctrl + c
16:01 cheapie There should probably be an L at the end of that, and likely some more words too.
16:01 red-002 that part was copied from the server code
16:02 cheapie The chat command definition table also appears to be incorrect, as no "name" is passed to the function, only param as far as I can tell.
16:02 red-002 we should make a lua_api_common doc
16:03 nrzkt cheapie: you can also use colors :)
16:03 cheapie nrzkt: Yep, I saw. The issue is with the end being cut off.
16:06 cheapie It also mentions a "minetest.register_on_receiving_chat_message()" function, while the function appears to actually be minetest.register_on_receiving_chat_messages()" (note the S at the end).
16:10 red-002 is this section incorrectly named? https://github.com/minetest/minetes​t/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt#L185
16:10 red-002 you can't even use : for a file name on windows
16:11 cheapie Looks fine to me?
16:11 red-002 I think I better name would be "Naming convention for registered nodes names"
16:11 red-002 oh
16:11 cheapie I think it's supposed to apply to any text (textual) names, such as LBMs, forms, nodes, etc.
16:11 red-002 I misread that as texture names
16:11 red-002 my bad
16:17 kaeza ~tell paramat no problems on your opinion about textures. I left unexpectedly yesterday for other reasons
16:17 ShadowBot kaeza: O.K.
16:23 Krock joined #minetest-dev
16:28 red-002 cheapie, https://github.com/red-001/minetest/blo​b/improve_csm_doc/doc/client_lua_api.md
16:29 cheapie Looks good, aside from the very end. Two hexadecimal what? (I know, digits, but it doesn't appear to say that)
16:31 cheapie Is there a way to determine what the local player's name is?
16:31 red-002 not yet
16:31 cheapie OK. That should probably be added at some point :P
16:32 red-002 it wouldn't be hard to add
16:33 proller__ joined #minetest-dev
16:33 red-002 on it's own adding it is about 10 minutes work including updating the docs and building
16:37 red-002 #5467
16:37 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5467 -- [CSM] Fix errors in and improve the CSM documentation. by red-001
16:42 proller__ joined #minetest-dev
16:54 WSDguy2014 joined #minetest-dev
16:54 WSDguy2014 left #minetest-dev
17:09 lisac joined #minetest-dev
17:23 Icedream joined #minetest-dev
18:11 numzero joined #minetest-dev
18:35 ^v joined #minetest-dev
18:39 paramat joined #minetest-dev
19:15 ^v joined #minetest-dev
19:20 kaeza is this useful to anybody else? https://github.com/minetest/minetest/​compare/master...kaeza:strip?expand=1
19:21 kaeza disregard the lack of docs for now
19:37 Thomas-S_ joined #minetest-dev
19:37 paramat #5382 is ready
19:37 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5382 -- Cavegen/Mgv5/Mgv7: Add optional giant caverns by paramat
19:43 ^v joined #minetest-dev
19:56 YuGiOhJCJ joined #minetest-dev
19:57 paramat ~tell rubenwardy https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5439 seems good now
19:57 ShadowBot paramat: O.K.
20:35 RobbieF joined #minetest-dev
20:49 Tmanyo joined #minetest-dev
20:58 blaze joined #minetest-dev
21:01 nerzhul joined #minetest-dev
21:24 red-002 kaeza seems useful
21:54 rubenwardy joined #minetest-dev
22:00 VanessaE sofar: I would suggest shortening the duration of repeats for the howling sound cause dby using the pbj pup head.  Maybe reduce it to just one instance.
22:00 sofar the head is so rare, is it an issue?
22:00 VanessaE Wuzzy thinks it is ;)
22:00 sofar note that it also does something else
22:01 * VanessaE looks again
22:02 VanessaE aside from eating one every 15 seconds?
22:04 VanessaE (also, I didn't like Lua could do tail recursion like that)
22:04 sofar it heals the player every 15 seconds for 5 minutes
22:04 VanessaE didn't know*
22:04 red-002 nerzhul, does depends.txt work in client-side mods?
22:05 sofar VanessaE: it could, I made it safe when I rewrite minetest.after()
22:05 sofar rewrote*
22:05 VanessaE oh, I didn't catch that, to me it looked like it would just repeatedly eat one.  I so rarely use the *_eat() calls, wasn't sure how that worked.
22:05 nerzhul red-002, i think it should work as the loading processus uses same code as server mods
22:06 Fritigern joined #minetest-dev
22:11 VaultyTowers joined #minetest-dev
22:12 rubywarden joined #minetest-dev
22:22 red-002 updated #5467
22:22 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5467 -- [CSM] Fix errors in and improve the CSM documentation. by red-001
22:26 numzero joined #minetest-dev
22:27 proller__ joined #minetest-dev
22:30 rubenwardy !seen tenplus1
22:30 ShadowBot rubenwardy: I saw tenplus1 in #minetest-dev 3 weeks, 0 days, 7 hours, 28 minutes, and 10 seconds ago saying "hi oc"
22:30 rubenwardy !seen TenPlus1
22:30 ShadowBot rubenwardy: I saw TenPlus1 in #minetest-dev 13 weeks, 3 days, 13 hours, 12 minutes, and 32 seconds ago saying "congrats on 0.4.15 release btw"
22:30 Fixer rubenwardy: he rage quit forever after that metadata thing
22:30 Fixer :trollface:
22:30 rubenwardy which metadata thing?
22:30 Shara It broke his mobs redo
22:31 Fixer rubenwardy: last time I seen him he said mobs redo had probs with tamed mobs after those metadata PRs...
22:31 rubenwardy ah, woops :S
22:31 Shara Tamed mobs were just despawning.
22:32 rubenwardy #5302
22:32 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5302 -- Store legacy metadata separate from new item meta data by rubenwardy
22:32 Fixer probably this
22:33 Fixer rubenwardy: mar 26 last activity, seems ok
22:38 Fixer I have straight stair down mineshaft (with stairs), about 300 nodes down, going up stuck on it 13 times
23:04 Fritigern joined #minetest-dev
23:25 paramat please can anyone look at #5439 ?
23:25 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5439 -- Add pointed_thing_to_face_pos to misc_helpers and doc by MarkuBu
23:31 Grandolf joined #minetest-dev

| Channels | #minetest-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext