Minetest logo

IRC log for #minetest-dev, 2016-01-05

| Channels | #minetest-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:16 Hijiri are non-player entity nametags compatible with 0.4.13 clients?
00:24 lezzy joined #minetest-dev
00:41 kaeza <gregorycu> My questions/concerns are around mods writing to their folders etc. <-- is this still a problem?
00:41 kaeza s/still/really/
00:43 kaeza all big mods specifically write data to the world directory. if it's a problem for some obscure mod, the author should change it
00:48 rubenwardy writing to the mod folder isn't good
01:52 kaeza hmmmm, looks like it didn't need much change after all. could you review? https://github.com/kaeza/minetest/commit/​bda05c527c5ade393a7e163143f6ddfa0495e164
01:55 sofar why are there different mts' for trees vs. trees_from_saplings?
01:59 kaeza one note about my commit: I know "kick" is probably another variant, but not bothering to add CDR_KICK to server.h, probably triggering a compilation of everything and their mother
02:03 paramat joined #minetest-dev
02:05 paramat mapgen trees use per-node force-place for the trunks to allow trunks to replace leaves but not allow leaves to replace trunk. however force-placed trunks break stuff when you grow a sapling, so sapling-grown trees do not force-place trunk
02:05 sofar ahh
02:05 sofar that's good information for when I add new trees
02:05 paramat a growing sapling was able to grief bult structures
02:06 sofar paramat: thanks
02:06 paramat (built)
02:06 paramat so the sapling-grown trees use per-node force-place to only replace the sapling, nothing else
02:07 paramat this is all visible in my saveschems mod, which is the source of our trees
02:10 sofar paramat: another thing, something that bothers me about default mapgen is the harsh transitions between biomes. Is there a way that could be fixed?
02:10 paramat which mapgen?
02:10 sofar ... perhaps to clarify... fixed without introducing transient in-between biomes
02:11 sofar mgv7 with minetest_game
02:12 paramat that has a blobby form of mgv6 biome blend
02:12 paramat you can customise the mgv7 biome blend to make the transition larger
02:12 sofar ok, how?
02:12 sofar the _blend noise maps?
02:12 paramat yes
02:13 sofar I assume increasing scale works?
02:13 paramat yes increase the 'scale'
02:15 paramat the reason it's fairly low is because there are inevitably areas where the blend covers a large area and that doesn't look so good. you'll find out
02:16 paramat in other places that makes the transition rather small, it's a balance
02:17 paramat however in MT abrupt biome change is not seen as a problem but a characteristic, some people prefer no biome blend at all
02:18 paramat anyway at least in mgv7 the blend distance is settable by players by customising the blend noises
02:18 sofar I set both to 5, and I kinda like the result
02:19 paramat wow
02:19 paramat explore a bit and you'll get huge blobby areas
02:20 sofar yes but the transitions are gentle
02:20 sofar like, 20-40 meter interspersed tree types
02:20 paramat yep
02:21 gregorycu joined #minetest-dev
02:22 gregorycu How are we all
02:23 paramat i might consider increasing the default very slightly, 2 or so
02:23 paramat busy dude
02:29 paramat bbl
02:29 paramat left #minetest-dev
02:29 sofar paramat: apart from creating a new biome in mapgen.lua, and adding a tree deco
02:29 sofar damn
02:29 sofar he left :(
02:30 sofar I can't seem to have my new tree spawned.
02:50 rubenwardy joined #minetest-dev
02:59 nolsen joined #minetest-dev
03:30 sofar okay, I'm clearly incapable of adding a biome and a new tree decoration for that biome
03:34 sofar is that not possible? mgv7, editing mapgen.lua
03:35 paramat joined #minetest-dev
03:35 * VanessaE staples paramat's pants to his chair
03:35 VanessaE hold still G*d damn it :)
03:35 paramat i can't move!
03:37 VanessaE sofar: am I to assume you're basically trying to render plantlife modpack and/or biome_lib obsolete? :)
03:39 sofar VanessaE: no, just want to see how hard it is to add one new tree
03:39 sofar paramat:
03:39 VanessaE well I meant between this and the fallen-logs idea
03:39 sofar paramat: I tried adding a new biome and tree in mapgen.lua, but I can't ever find it in a map
03:40 sofar I did a register_biome(), and added a decoration for it
03:40 sofar it's in between coniferous and dedicious temperature wise
03:40 sofar ... never to be found ....
03:41 sofar VanessaE: tbh moretrees adds way too many and way too large trees, plus there's nothing wrong with obsoleting "trunks"
03:41 sofar :)
03:41 VanessaE heh
03:42 sofar btw thanks for joining minetest-mods
03:43 sofar VanessaE: this all started as a minetest game. I may decide to keep things I'd like to see as the -game, or push it to minetest_game
03:43 sofar and for some stuff I'd like to see I'll just use biome_lib etc.
03:43 VanessaE you're welcome
03:44 paramat you'll need to shift around the 'biome points' of every biome
03:44 sofar is there a minimum separation needed between them?
03:44 VanessaE sofar: in any case, you don't *have* to use moretrees ;)
03:44 paramat the points create a voronoi diagram of heat against humidity
03:45 sofar right, I knew that. Just wondering how I can verify that there's enough separation between the ones defined
03:45 sofar they're now 15 heat apart
03:46 paramat the points need to be roughly evenly spread. it's a tricky system to tune
03:46 paramat there's no minimum separation
03:47 sofar well I can see heat_points at 15, 35, 50, 65
03:47 sofar so that looks just fine
03:48 paramat best post your definitions somewhere
03:51 sofar well basically
03:51 sofar I added a heat = 50 humidity = 50 biome called "temperate_forest"
03:52 sofar then changed all occurrences of heat_point = 40 to 35
03:52 sofar and changed all heat_point = 60 to 65
03:54 sofar I'm expeting to see my new decoration in between apple trees and pine trees
03:54 sofar as those come from adjacent heat_point biomes
03:56 paramat hmmmm gregorycu has made map:updateLighting much faster, please could you review? core devs are very elusive at the moment https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/3523
03:57 paramat sofar maybe start by using a different surface node to check it's not the deco failing?
03:57 sofar yeah, was thinking about that
03:58 sofar ah, well, there's my surface
03:58 sofar so the decoration borks
04:00 sofar ohhhh DERP
04:02 * sofar * 0.01
05:10 blaze joined #minetest-dev
06:05 paramat left #minetest-dev
06:36 Hunterz joined #minetest-dev
07:01 Obani joined #minetest-dev
08:21 nrzkt joined #minetest-dev
08:36 Krock joined #minetest-dev
08:53 MyTeke_ChrisWMas joined #minetest-dev
09:34 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
09:45 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
09:57 jin_xi joined #minetest-dev
10:03 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
10:15 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
10:28 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
10:38 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
10:48 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
11:01 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
11:12 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
11:35 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
11:45 red-001 joined #minetest-dev
11:48 red-0001 joined #minetest-dev
11:59 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
12:32 Fixer joined #minetest-dev
12:56 H-H-H joined #minetest-dev
13:03 Sockbat joined #minetest-dev
13:19 nrzkt joined #minetest-dev
13:32 turtleman joined #minetest-dev
14:08 DogePony joined #minetest-dev
14:24 pozzoni joined #minetest-dev
14:25 pozzoni joined #minetest-dev
14:27 DFeniks joined #minetest-dev
14:42 zat joined #minetest-dev
14:42 kilbith joined #minetest-dev
14:43 kilbith i'm trying to run Lua bytecode on MT, and getting "bad chunk in precompiled chunk" on start-up... this is normal ?
14:44 nrzkt yes
14:45 Calinou joined #minetest-dev
14:48 kilbith ok nvm, SN prevented it with "mod security"...
14:53 Krock2 joined #minetest-dev
15:17 Player2 joined #minetest-dev
15:23 Player2 joined #minetest-dev
15:24 Player2 joined #minetest-dev
15:32 sfan5 this guy is funny https://forum.minetest.net/vi​ewtopic.php?p=203546#p203546
15:33 * Krock prepares the "Noob confirmed" stamp
15:42 H-H-H building android is simple lol cd build, cd android make
15:44 Krock on linux
15:44 H-H-H yeah
15:49 red-001 admob???
15:50 H-H-H some advertisment api for android
15:50 red-001 what???
15:50 red-001 ohh
15:50 sfan5 he wants to compile minetest and add ads so he gets money
15:50 red-001 good luck to him
15:51 H-H-H from my experience you get a pitifull amount from those add sstems its barely worth the agravation lol
15:51 red-001 I doubt he would be able to make a 100 usd back if he did pay someone
15:52 red-001 it's not like there are no minecraft clones on play store
15:52 red-001 and last time I checked minetest controls on android weren't something that was close to good
16:05 CraigyDavi joined #minetest-dev
16:07 hmmmm joined #minetest-dev
16:29 kaadmy joined #minetest-dev
17:02 alket joined #minetest-dev
17:06 Calinou_ joined #minetest-dev
17:08 Hunterz joined #minetest-dev
17:09 Hunterz left #minetest-dev
17:09 Hunterz joined #minetest-dev
17:15 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
17:26 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
17:29 `PenguinDad` joined #minetest-dev
17:38 Fixer joined #minetest-dev
17:39 Obani joined #minetest-dev
17:39 paramat joined #minetest-dev
17:47 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
17:47 paramat celeron55 please could you consider gregorycu for a core dev? he has been here a year and has done good work on fixing/optimising stuff https://github.com/minetest/min​etest/commits?author=gregorycu the dev shortage is a problem now
17:48 red-001 could someone recommend a good GUI for git on windows?
17:49 rom1504 red-001: a vm with a console open on linux in it
17:49 paramat it's difficult to get the necessary 2 +1s to merge something
17:49 red-001 I know
17:50 red-001 but github for windows is just plain bad imo
17:50 Fixer paramat, bad sign, if you need to fight to merge code, something is wrong .__.
17:51 rom1504 well yes, all git guis are bad if you want to do more than looking at the diff and pressing "commit & push"
17:52 Warr1024 red-001: I've used TortoiseGit on windows with some success.
17:53 red-001 warr1024 I will check it out
17:55 paramat heh Fixer i mean it's difficult to even get 2 core dev reviewers
17:57 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
17:57 Calinou red-001, http://git-for-windows.github.io
17:57 Calinou this is command-line, but it's the best libre client
17:58 Calinou and it's not restricted to GitHub
18:04 kilbith joined #minetest-dev
18:05 kilbith i agree with paramat, we really need fresh new blood currently, sofar is another serious candidate (at least for managing minetest_game)
18:05 sofar shush, I break stuff
18:07 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
18:07 alket joined #minetest-dev
18:13 kaadmy heh
18:17 sofar kilbith: I'm not necessarily managing minetest_game. I have my agenda and I'm conservatively pushing some changes that some may think are a bit radical, so I'm happy to sit from the sidelines and let everyone judge my submissions
18:18 sofar however, I'm happy to review others' contributions and will regularly look at open issues and others' PRs
18:24 RealBadAngel joined #minetest-dev
18:24 RealBadAngel hi
18:24 red-001 sofar I added support for locked trap doors to my PR
18:24 red-001 hi RealBadAngel
18:25 RealBadAngel ive took a short break from shaders stuff and coded infotext for entities
18:25 RealBadAngel now i do have two questions
18:25 paramat this needs review, much needed lighting optimisation https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/3523
18:26 RealBadAngel 1st shall infotext show number of items in stack too?
18:27 RealBadAngel 2nd why the fuck theres dead code here: testCAO and itemCAO is not used at all code
18:27 Icedream joined #minetest-dev
18:29 RealBadAngel paramat, what about those textures you made issue for?
18:29 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
18:30 RealBadAngel celeron55, is testcao and itemcao safe to trash in your opinion?
18:30 paramat this is infotext for a stack of nodes sitting in the world as an object? what's the other info shown?
18:31 RealBadAngel paramat, same way as other infotext
18:31 paramat RBA i thought you'd want to host and maintain the texture pack with normalmaps
18:32 sofar heh, I was just looking at infotext for entities the other day
18:32 kaadmy imo the debug info for the pointed node should be available with mods
18:32 RealBadAngel thats obvious
18:32 sofar glad I didn't
18:32 RealBadAngel question is where
18:32 kaadmy the pointed_thing
18:32 sofar kaadmy: something like this: https://github.com/minetest-mods/inspector ?
18:33 kaadmy sofar: not really
18:34 kaadmy i want something like the debug info from F5 available through the mod api
18:34 RealBadAngel http://i.imgur.com/5MWQNQC.png
18:34 RealBadAngel thats in debug mode, so debug info is also visibkle
18:34 kaadmy RealBadAngel:  nice
18:34 paramat ah item name then, obviously
18:34 sofar kaadmy: there's a LOT of info you can display... how much debug info do you want?
18:35 RealBadAngel description
18:35 sofar kaadmy: my mod shows that it can easily fill out a whole page of text on some items
18:35 sofar e.g. chests
18:35 kaadmy just the pointed_thing node name
18:35 sofar that's already in F5 tho
18:35 sofar but, putting it in infotext would be nice
18:35 kaadmy it should be available tho
18:36 RealBadAngel paramat, where do you want this to be hosted?
18:36 kaadmy could be part of infotext, but i was thinking just something like minetest.get_player_by_name​(name).get_pointed_thing()
18:36 paramat best personally hosted by yourself? so you can access it easily
18:37 paramat maybe we could make a copy in an official repo
18:37 RealBadAngel paramat, this is essential for default, its not an addon
18:38 RealBadAngel you have just deleted textures which are needed for relief mapping to work
18:38 paramat well it was decided otherwise, sorry
18:39 RealBadAngel not to mention we are about to have shine maps, lightmaps etc
18:39 paramat if you personally host the dev version, we could make regular copies into a new official repo?
18:39 RealBadAngel in modern games textured surface is not made just with one file
18:40 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
18:40 RealBadAngel i think that there should be an official  repo within minetest project
18:40 sofar RealBadAngel: one issue you didn't address is that when you added normal maps to the default texture pack, you forced every texture pack maintainer to ALSO make normalmaps, since their textures are different
18:41 sofar that's been my biggest issue with normalmaps in the default texture pack
18:41 RealBadAngel sofar, i know, but that shouldnt be the reason to remove all the maps
18:41 kaadmy imo normalmapping looks bad without dynamic lighting
18:42 RealBadAngel im doing now lignhting
18:42 RealBadAngel and much much more
18:42 paramat nice
18:42 sofar RealBadAngel: it would be fine if normal maps were ever only loaded from the same map folder as the active texture location
18:43 sofar RealBadAngel: the problem is that minetest happily gets the normal map from default but the texture from an optional folder
18:43 sofar it can be fixed in code, and probably still has to
18:43 RealBadAngel idk what could be the best solution
18:44 sofar if texture from location X and normal map from location Y, do not use normal map
18:44 RealBadAngel one thing i know that effects will require at least 3-4 textures
18:44 sofar yeah, that I have no qualms with
18:44 sofar full speed ahead on light ;)
18:44 RealBadAngel light will require all of them
18:45 sofar if they're absent, what happens?
18:45 RealBadAngel flat, dumb shit
18:45 kaadmy heh
18:45 paramat the primary reason for removing is because normalmaps make texture creation much more difficult
18:45 sofar unplayable or... looks like current?
18:45 kaadmy ugly/flat nodes
18:46 RealBadAngel paramat, lack of skills is no exuse when creating GFX
18:46 sofar most people are just intimidated
18:47 RealBadAngel you could say, i cant paint "mona lisa", down with that shit
18:47 paramat textures are meant to be simple, core MT principle
18:47 RealBadAngel gfx is not simple
18:47 RealBadAngel even at 16px
18:47 sofar oh there are so many mods with insanly bad textures
18:47 kaadmy agree
18:48 RealBadAngel leave gfx to folks that know what theyre doing
18:48 paramat we can have new lighting without bumpmaps they're not essential
18:48 sofar my Aspen tree patch was 5 minutes of coding and 1.5 hours of tweaking texture pixels :)
18:48 kaadmy yep
18:48 kaadmy trees are especially hard
18:48 sofar but, I've come to like making textures
18:48 kaadmy so is cobblestone
18:48 sofar I'll have a texture pack out soon
18:48 RealBadAngel each texture you happily deleted just took me 2-3 days to make
18:49 paramat so you want most players to be unable to make textures
18:49 RealBadAngel think about it
18:49 RealBadAngel PLAYERS are not supposed to do textures
18:49 red-001 @paramat most player don't mind
18:49 red-001 players*
18:49 paramat modders i mean
18:49 RealBadAngel modders neither
18:50 RealBadAngel they hire artists
18:50 sofar I WISH
18:50 sofar lol
18:50 red-001 'hire'
18:50 sofar nah man, nobody hires artists
18:50 RealBadAngel or ask them kindly
18:50 sfan5 <kaadmy> could be part of infotext, but i was thinking just something like minetest.get_player_by_name​(name).get_pointed_thing()
18:50 sofar I'd consider it, though
18:50 paramat good grief, textures should be beyond modders ability =/
18:50 sfan5 thats difficult because the server doesn't exactly (and not always) know where the player is looking
18:50 sofar maybe we should do a gofundme thing
18:51 RealBadAngel paramat, shit texture anybody can make
18:51 sfan5 this would give modders the ability to say "it will remove the block you point at"
18:51 sfan5 then people use that
18:51 kaadmy sfan5: that's why i think it should be client-side
18:51 sfan5 and say "it doesnt work, it removed a differrent block!!!!"
18:51 RealBadAngel good lookin, especially with demand of 16px is REALLY hard to make
18:51 paramat these fine detail bumpmaps are hideous, the lead devs dislike them and they're unsuitable for the roadmap
18:51 sfan5 kaadmy: that would require client-side modding
18:52 RealBadAngel paramat, GFX has nothing to do with roadmap
18:52 RealBadAngel as for the roadmap you can talk about code goals, not the look
18:52 paramat wrong
18:52 sfan5 RealBadAngel: it does, but afaik the roadmap does not say wheter we should have better graphics/bumpmaps/etc. or not
18:53 RealBadAngel thats my opinion ofc
18:53 paramat 'not about making fancy looking things at the expense of freedom'
18:53 paramat 'don't mind the lesser visuals..'
18:53 sofar there's some middle ground here...
18:54 sofar let's not try and see the worst of both ends
18:54 RealBadAngel youre minimalist guy paramat
18:54 paramat new lighting with flat textures is fine and much wanted
18:54 RealBadAngel some wants the world to look better
18:54 sofar and RBA is maximalist
18:54 sofar you guys are like salt'n'peppa
18:54 paramat i'm quoting the roadmap
18:54 RealBadAngel im just waiting for my VR headset
18:55 RealBadAngel we will see how the world will look like then
18:55 sofar we need both - minetest development should stay fast paced, but we also need some major changes to the core engine (lighting)
18:55 kaadmy ;)
18:55 sofar the obvious choice is branched development
18:55 kaadmy imho the two most needed changes right now are faster networking, and better lighting
18:56 paramat your normalmaps are wanted, but independently maintained by you
18:56 sofar there's much more than that
18:56 RealBadAngel ive ordered occulus rift googles, cant wait to put my hands on them :)
18:56 sofar RealBadAngel: selfie with them when you get them or we don't believe you
18:56 RealBadAngel paramat, but you are pushing this content out of the mainstream
18:56 paramat you should fork, you will get frustrated and blocked otherwise
18:57 kaadmy "occulus rift googles" sounds wrong :)
18:57 RealBadAngel i can fork, sure
18:57 paramat however much or your work will still be welcome in MT
18:57 paramat (of)
18:57 RealBadAngel i will end up with HD mt, and you will get shit without shaders
18:57 RealBadAngel deal?
18:57 kaadmy personally i wouldn't mind, others might
18:58 kaadmy shaders are too slow for me, i play withiut
18:58 paramat you can still contribute suitable stuff to MT, we want you to, you so some good stuff
18:58 RealBadAngel thats no excuse also
18:58 sofar RealBadAngel: the trick is to branch and get others to help you review/write code, I think
18:59 kaadmy tho it does seem like RBA's stuff keeps getting rejected
18:59 red-001 sofar so fragment minetest even more?
18:59 RealBadAngel lemme manage official branch within mt
18:59 RealBadAngel not an obscure fork
19:00 sfan5 ^
19:00 RealBadAngel this way i can handle all the code and needed resources
19:00 sofar RealBadAngel: I agree you should attempt to make it a branch in the official git tree
19:00 paramat i don't think you'll be accepted as a core dev again
19:01 RealBadAngel paramt, if not i will ultimately create my own fork, and move away
19:01 RealBadAngel but then you wont get anything from me back
19:02 paramat well you could share some stuff if you want, that's up to you
19:02 RealBadAngel nvm
19:03 RealBadAngel i will just code things for my own pleasure
19:03 sofar never anything wrong with that
19:03 paramat some of your stuff is much wanted and appreciated in MT
19:03 sofar but I'd prefer a more collaborative location
19:05 Fixer who wants to be hero and fix liquid over gnore, texture tear problem and stutter insp and mp problem? %)
19:05 RealBadAngel me too
19:06 red-001 anyone is welcome to fix the liquid over ignore
19:06 red-001 I might work on it if no else does
19:07 red-001 but I'm not good at c++
19:08 paramat gregorycu might be working on liquid/ignore soon
19:09 paramat also i'm working on that function currently so conflicts would arise
19:14 sofar I'd be very happy just seeing https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3529 fixed at this point
19:16 paramat well i'm studying water flow right now, but don't get your hopes up it's complex
19:16 red-001 very
19:18 red-001 the problem you showed looks like it's easier then the ignore problem
19:18 red-001 I solved the problem of water spreading like this on ignore
19:18 Darcidride joined #minetest-dev
19:18 red-001 but not how to make the water flow down again
19:22 red-001 paramat what part of water are you working on?
19:22 paramat https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/3501 almost done
19:23 paramat finding another core dev to +1 it will be difficult though :}
19:30 sofar maybe it'll help to remove the uneeded coding style fixes in that patch, that should make it a bit smaller
19:31 paramat RealBadAngel https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3530 any help is much appreciated
19:31 paramat nah style fixes are trivial to review
19:38 alket joined #minetest-dev
19:43 blaze red-001: tell me how to reproduce your issue
19:47 paramat nore sfan5 https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/759 'Place tree logs as decorations'
19:48 alket joined #minetest-dev
19:49 sfan5 paramat: how rare are those logs?
19:50 paramat well i'm going to test that again in-game, they have been made rarer on my request
19:50 jin_xi joined #minetest-dev
19:50 paramat they can't be too common because too many can make cliffs look weird
19:52 paramat if there's too many we can adjust it later
19:53 sofar sfan5: common enough to be able to find one in a minute of walking around in the dense forest biomes
19:53 sofar sfan5: but rare enough that they're usually far apart
19:53 sfan5 ok
19:53 sfan5 paramat: i'm ok with the pull
19:53 red-001 blaze what issue?
19:53 sofar e.g. they're usually 20+ nodes apart easily
19:54 paramat thanks for looking
19:54 sofar they're even hard to find in jungles, since those are so dense
19:54 red-001 this https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3507?
19:55 paramat nore sfan5 also https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/742 https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/743
19:55 sofar sfan5: quantitatively, trees are at least 10x more common than trunks, I'd say
19:57 sfan5 paramat: i'm ok with game#742
19:57 paramat i'll merge game 755 later
19:57 paramat ok
19:58 paramat fences are more controversial i know
20:04 Drangue joined #minetest-dev
20:06 paramat i'll merge game 772 also since it's a trivial fix
20:17 RealBadAngel paramat, ive commented your request out
20:17 RealBadAngel still im lacking the motivation to do so
20:18 paramat ok no problem
20:18 RealBadAngel you want me to fix things but be an outsider at the same time
20:18 RealBadAngel gimme HD branch and i will work for both
20:21 RealBadAngel this way i can develop HD stuff being close to mainstream
20:21 RealBadAngel and if others decide to move stuff to master there wont be any problem
20:22 RealBadAngel im with the project for circa 4 yrs already, i know that my ideas can be controversial
20:23 RealBadAngel but even you have used to some of them
20:25 paramat thanks for the comments. you may be best qualified to help with this, and attempting to fix past work is sort-of expected. anyway if at some point you are happy to do so it will be very appreciated by many players
20:28 red-001 the delete mod button in the built in modmanger doesn't work
20:30 rubenwardy joined #minetest-dev
20:32 RealBadAngel paramat, past, present or the future, its all combined, im developing particular stuff since years
20:32 RealBadAngel most of my engine commits are having in mind future stuff
20:33 RealBadAngel and many things were on hold until ive solved problems on the way, see water shaders
20:34 RealBadAngel commits that make one and the only thing are rare from me
20:34 RealBadAngel most of them are just steps
20:35 paramat yes
20:36 RealBadAngel you are having very simplistic vision, and i on the other hand can see all the future candies
20:36 RealBadAngel and work hard for them
20:39 RealBadAngel some of my ideas may not work (as 3d plants)
20:40 RealBadAngel but i would love to make them as fast to be useable
20:40 paramat maybe you can convince c55 to give you a HD branch, i'm fairly neutral about that
20:40 RealBadAngel im not demanding, but asking
20:41 RealBadAngel it could be right solution imho
20:41 RealBadAngel easy to sync, easy to grab
20:42 RealBadAngel i wont be messing in master
20:42 RealBadAngel but if you will want to move something to master it will be far easier for you
20:44 RealBadAngel if you (devs) wont agree on that, i will ultimately will make my own fork, but i dont want to
20:49 RealBadAngel somebody please close issue #3536
20:51 sofar red-001: <red-001> the delete mod button in the built in modmanger doesn't work
20:51 sofar red-001: file an issue?
20:52 red-001 I will
20:53 rubenwardy joined #minetest-dev
21:29 misprint joined #minetest-dev
21:55 Amaz joined #minetest-dev
22:27 Drangue joined #minetest-dev
22:52 paramat joined #minetest-dev
22:53 paramat a HD branch maintained by RBA seems a potentially good idea to me now
22:56 sofar glad to hear that!
23:14 Fritigern Not that my opinion in this would matter (i'm no dev), but I think I have missed what the purpose of that branch is. The way it sounds to me is that it could incorporate stuff that is considered too demanding of the average user's hardware. If so, then I would be for such a branch because developing those features could lead to finding ways to make those work on lesser specced hardware.
23:15 paramat ok will merge game 710 742 755 772 in a moment
23:22 paramat see irc logs for the discussion earlier
23:23 rubenwardy Even if it doesn't work on lesser hardware, it's good for those with better hardware
23:24 paramat now merging to game..
23:24 RealBadAngel see commodore c64 or zx spectrum first titles
23:25 RealBadAngel and then whats done later
23:25 RealBadAngel hardware was the same, only coders evolved
23:26 RealBadAngel so having two branches can be benefit for both of them
23:27 sofar it benefits the developers as well as the code
23:27 RealBadAngel mainly the code
23:27 sofar you'd instantly have 20 developers looking at your branches
23:28 sofar at least, much higher chance of that
23:28 RealBadAngel code doesnt remember the fights
23:28 RealBadAngel more eyes, more opinions and ideas
23:30 RealBadAngel but on the theme....
23:31 RealBadAngel what i really hate is comment without any knowledge behind
23:33 RealBadAngel but still with 20 voices you can get something helpful, thats absolutely right
23:34 RealBadAngel no coder is perfect, no idea is flawless
23:36 RealBadAngel im going to take a nap, will push two PRs later on, in the morning, need to play with them a bit, just for testing
23:37 paramat merged
23:39 paramat phew
23:40 nolsen joined #minetest-dev
23:49 sofar paramat, good work, have a beer
23:49 sofar also, go saw some logs while you drink that
23:52 paramat i was just now testing logs..
23:52 kaeza joined #minetest-dev
23:54 sofar FYI, I left the pine tree logs at a slightly higher rate
23:54 sofar the geologist in me says: pine trees are colder climate trees
23:54 paramat yes noticed
23:54 sofar and in colder weather, logs decay slower
23:54 sofar so there are more dead trees on the ground naturally
23:54 paramat ah i see
23:55 sofar that kind of reasoning is all over my sedimentology mod as well
23:55 sofar also, recently in Oregon
23:55 sofar a study confirmed that fallen logs in pine forests generally don't decay much for the first 70 years
23:56 sofar especially in the non-coastal regions behind the cascades
23:56 sofar this causes big problems when fires move through, obviously :)
23:56 paramat will merge it in a moment
23:56 sofar this is relevant, since I live in Oregon and have a 10acre forest property :)

| Channels | #minetest-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext