Minetest logo

IRC log for #minetest-dev, 2015-05-16

| Channels | #minetest-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 paramat off by default to not break old worlds
00:01 paramat to avoid straight-edged biome borders if snowbiomes are added to an old world
00:03 troller joined #minetest-dev
00:10 Taoki Ah. So it needs to be off forever just for this reason?
00:11 Taoki Or just temporarily
00:11 VanessaE joined #minetest-dev
00:11 paramat yes forever
00:12 paramat mgv6 must never break old worlds
00:22 troller joined #minetest-dev
00:25 proller joined #minetest-dev
00:33 paramat biomes are now slightly too small in the 8 biome system of mgv5/v7, i will try out spreads of 750
00:36 paramat custom biome systems like ethereal and BFD tend to have (much) more than 8 biomes so the biomes end up very small
01:00 paramat 750 is good, i'll prepare a PR
01:01 Darcidride joined #minetest-dev
01:14 paramat 2 for review and possible push in a few hours #2703 #2706 back later
01:14 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2703 -- Mapgen v5/v7: Detect sandstone, enable sandstone brick dungeons by paramat
01:14 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2706 -- Biome API: Increase heat and humidity spreads to 750 by paramat
01:14 paramat left #minetest-dev
01:37 Wayward_Tab joined #minetest-dev
01:56 Miner_48er joined #minetest-dev
02:21 Adimgar joined #minetest-dev
02:39 luizrpgluiz joined #minetest-dev
02:40 luizrpgluiz some doubts, as I generate a tree from treedef without relying on other mods? eg only using the default
02:40 luizrpgluiz changed tree generation system?
02:42 paramat joined #minetest-dev
02:49 luizrpgluiz paramat: changed treedef generation system?
02:50 paramat best to ask on minetest channel
02:52 RealBadAngel luizrpgluiz, what do you want exactly?
03:14 luizrpgluiz left #minetest-dev
03:24 OldCoder joined #minetest-dev
03:24 chchjesus joined #minetest-dev
03:39 paramat left #minetest-dev
03:39 FR^3 joined #minetest-dev
03:42 FR^3 joined #minetest-dev
03:49 RealBadAngel anybody awake?
03:52 FR^3 joined #minetest-dev
04:03 FR^3 joined #minetest-dev
04:52 Zeno` joined #minetest-dev
05:08 * VanessaE peeks in
05:09 RealBadAngel hi
05:09 VanessaE RealBadAngel: what luiz wanted, I think, was some kind of simple way to determine where on the terrain to actually create a tree, and I don't think he wants to use l-system at all
05:09 VanessaE rather, I get the impression that he wants to do it with schematics.
05:10 RealBadAngel idk
05:10 RealBadAngel he mentioned lsystems
05:10 VanessaE I don't think such a feature exists within the engine's decoration system, which is what he needs if he doesn't want to rely on a third-party mod
05:10 VanessaE but idk
05:10 RealBadAngel anyway, a question for ya
05:10 VanessaE hm?
05:10 RealBadAngel <RealBadAngel> hmmm, im wondering now if minimap should work always in full bright or show terrain with current light
05:11 VanessaE combination of both.
05:11 VanessaE pilcrow's suggestion has merit
05:11 RealBadAngel you mean to show things not that dark as they really are?
05:11 VanessaE if you can match the actual in-game lighting, that's really good - but yeah there should be a lower limit
05:11 VanessaE yes
05:11 Hunterz joined #minetest-dev
05:12 RealBadAngel i can fine tune light levels for that
05:12 VanessaE because when you think about it, a fully-dark map at night won't actually have much visible if you're in newly-explored terrain
05:12 VanessaE i.e. you won't have placed enough torches to mark your position/path/etc
05:12 RealBadAngel you can use nightvision then :)
05:12 VanessaE heh
05:13 RealBadAngel radar mode works pretty much that way
05:13 VanessaE a simple multiplier over the in-game lighting table would probably be sufficient
05:13 RealBadAngel http://i.imgur.com/eDhCBdV.png
05:13 VanessaE wrong link :)
05:13 VanessaE I saw the radar mode previously
05:14 RealBadAngel we will see if that idea could be used (playable)
05:16 VanessaE actually not a multiplier.  dark stuff would still be dark.  more like log() or something would be better.
05:19 Zeno` well, display lighting is already logarithmic curve so, yes...
05:19 Zeno` a*
05:21 VanessaE Zeno`: I thought the lighting table in minetest was linear?
05:21 VanessaE (with some fudge)
05:21 Zeno` But brightness is kind of different... you'd need to brighten and then apply gamma
05:21 Zeno` is it?
05:21 VanessaE when I last saw, yeah
05:21 VanessaE mostly linear with a bit of fudging in the middle or some such
05:22 Zeno` there is still fudging :(
05:22 Zeno` to keep people happy
05:22 Zeno` https://github.com/minetest/minetest/commi​t/3d29be24e089b1c267409f05b897ce3f03e99a07
05:23 Zeno` The fudging is now so that a gamma of 1.8 produces the same light table as before gamma was introduced
05:23 Zeno` https://github.com/minetest/minetest/commi​t/3d29be24e089b1c267409f05b897ce3f03e99a07​#diff-1bf86c5e08b07bc255ad8698c565bab6R73  <--- The fudge factors
05:25 Zeno` But internally (the light values that RBA is using) does not use these values... they are *display* values only
05:25 Zeno` err, well.. maybe not
05:25 Zeno` RealBadAngel which light values are you using?
05:25 Zeno` :)
05:25 VanessaE They're for display ONLY.  if you handle them too much, they're not gonna last.
05:25 VanessaE wait what? :)
05:26 RealBadAngel im using? where?
05:27 RealBadAngel night minimaps are an idea by now, not implemented yet
05:28 Zeno` I mean where are you getting luminosity from, when you do
05:28 Zeno` if you handle them too much? lol
05:29 * Zeno` grumbles something about references to movies he's never seen
05:30 RealBadAngel i can get light for minimap node from there: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/b​lob/master/src/mapblock_mesh.cpp#L192
05:30 RealBadAngel same way as engine does for rendering
05:31 Zeno` so decoded/display lighting with gamma applied
05:31 RealBadAngel propably yes
05:31 Zeno` 'tis good
05:33 RealBadAngel that wont be that much laggy because im gonna call that only for 256 faces per mapblock
05:33 Zeno` well it's only a LUT anyway
05:33 Zeno` so I doubt it'd be slow in any meaningful measure
05:34 RealBadAngel mapblock mesh updates are threaded anyway
05:34 Zeno` true
05:36 RealBadAngel http://pastebin.com/fKqkDPTg
05:36 RealBadAngel this is code from mapblock_mesh  for scanning the whole mapblock
05:36 RealBadAngel as you can see i can easily insert there light data
05:38 Zeno` oh
05:38 Zeno` I thought it'd be more complicated than that :)
05:38 Zeno` I suppose everything seems simple once it's done/seen hehe
05:40 RealBadAngel just when i find top non air node from in the column i call the function linked before with it and node above
05:40 RealBadAngel thats all
05:40 Zeno` yeah... straightforward
05:45 VanessaE RealBadAngel: can't use the engine's heightmap code for finding non-air-top-nodes ?
05:45 Zeno` I was waiting for someone to ask that
06:00 jin_xi joined #minetest-dev
06:08 RealBadAngel VanessaE, im not sure it can provide me enough data
06:09 RealBadAngel i need also air nodes count in the column
06:09 RealBadAngel thats for radar mode
06:11 VanessaE oh.
06:12 RealBadAngel wheres that heighmat code you are talkin about btw?
06:13 VanessaE I don't remember
06:13 VanessaE *pokes hmmmm*
06:13 jin_xi hey RealBadAngel good to see you again
06:14 RealBadAngel hi
06:41 jin_xi hm so cpp is weird at times, or whatever it is that causes this:
06:41 jin_xi im trying to call this function and get the same values everytiem https://github.com/minetest/minetes​t/blob/master/src/particles.cpp#L39
06:42 jin_xi but when it spell out exactly what the function does it works as expected
06:43 nore joined #minetest-dev
06:49 kahrl jin_xi how do you call it
06:52 jin_xi tried this in a particle emitter: Particle.pos = random_v3f(minpos, maxpos);
06:54 kahrl how did you check that is always returns the same value?
06:54 kahrl it*
06:56 jin_xi hm, let me try again, maybe i messed up with lua input
06:56 kahrl I recommend printing it directly to dstream in the line after that, I wouldn't rely on the visuals as they might be affected by bugs in the physics / collision detection
06:57 jin_xi ok will keep that in mind
06:57 kahrl see comments on #2690
06:57 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2690 -- positions of particle_spawner output not entirely accurate
06:57 jin_xi yes i saw that and surely enough it also happens with all of particle code replaced
06:58 jin_xi so its probably in collision somewhere as thats the only common thing
07:27 cib0 joined #minetest-dev
07:30 Calinou joined #minetest-dev
07:32 leat joined #minetest-dev
07:35 jin_xi welp, parens...
07:56 Krock joined #minetest-dev
08:05 Yepoleb joined #minetest-dev
08:11 kilbith joined #minetest-dev
09:24 VargaD_ joined #minetest-dev
09:32 cib0 joined #minetest-dev
09:33 Aaron101- joined #minetest-dev
09:36 friti joined #minetest-dev
09:37 Aaron1011 joined #minetest-dev
09:47 ElectronLibre joined #minetest-dev
09:47 pozzoni joined #minetest-dev
10:07 OldCoder joined #minetest-dev
10:08 technomancy joined #minetest-dev
10:11 selat joined #minetest-dev
12:08 cib0 joined #minetest-dev
12:25 EvergreenTree joined #minetest-dev
13:09 jin_xi joined #minetest-dev
13:24 Wayward_Tab joined #minetest-dev
13:45 TheWild joined #minetest-dev
14:28 hmmmm joined #minetest-dev
14:30 prozacgod joined #minetest-dev
14:30 cib0 joined #minetest-dev
14:40 Calinou joined #minetest-dev
14:47 RealBadAngel joined #minetest-dev
15:03 daswort joined #minetest-dev
15:03 technomancy joined #minetest-dev
15:26 celeron55 joined #minetest-dev
15:36 Wayward_Tab joined #minetest-dev
15:59 Adimgar joined #minetest-dev
16:04 Calinou #2707 review please?
16:04 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2707 -- Modified input and output format for /time command by LeMagnesium
16:08 RealBadAngel looks ok for me, but what us folks will say?
16:09 RealBadAngel still we didnt have 9000 AM or 11000 PM before ;)
16:24 cib0 joined #minetest-dev
16:28 hmmmm https://github.com/kwolekr/minetest/commit​/a6da66299659a832d11c81711dc0fd73ca1602e3
16:28 hmmmm PTAL
16:30 Krock Calinou, because you ponted to this, I'll tell you to edit the "params" or /time, make it backwards compatible there aswell
16:30 Krock *pointed
16:30 est31 joined #minetest-dev
16:32 hmmmm 2707 LGTM, but a minor improvement would be to fix the spacing between operators
16:33 hmmmm wait I take that back, 2707 does not look good to me.  copy paste error on line 706, "elseif minutes < 0 or minutes > 23 then"
16:34 est31 hmmmm, to the srp discussion from yesterday: the srp packets were +1ed by two people Zeno and nrz, and you said sb else should review it.
16:34 hmmmm yeah I didn't get around to that
16:34 hmmmm so let's continue where i left off
16:36 ElectronLibre hmmm: What do you mean by copy paste error?
16:36 est31 because its the same as for hours
16:36 hmmmm means whoever wrote it copied and pasted that line of code from somewhere else, in this case two lines above, and forgot to change everything
16:36 ElectronLibre I wrote those lines.
16:36 est31 if hour < 0 or hour > 23 then
16:36 hmmmm oh
16:36 ElectronLibre Without copying them.
16:37 hmmmm you realize there are 60 minutes in an hour then... correct..?
16:37 est31 joined #minetest-dev
16:37 ElectronLibre That's what I'm doing right now with all the other things said.
16:38 hmmmm sorry, I don't know everyone's username on github
16:38 hmmmm didn't know you were here
16:38 est31 ElectronLibre, can you also add a space here: local hour,minutes = param:match("^(%d+):(%d+)$")
16:38 ElectronLibre est31: Yes I will. hmmm: No problem, very often people don't recognize me.
16:39 est31 here too, right after hmmmm's comment core.log("action",name .. " set time " .. newtime)
16:39 hmmmm http://dev.minetest.net/Lua_code_style_guidelines
16:39 est31 and "sets time" not "set time"
16:40 hmmmm probably would be better to say "sets time to"
16:40 hmmmm so that's three changes
16:40 est31 yea
16:41 ElectronLibre I kept the original sentence I guess, so yes, I will do it.
16:41 est31 the old message was "sets time" but "to" sounds better
16:42 hmmmm est31, in your documentation you have std::string to denote a serialized string
16:42 hmmmm does this mean strings serialized in the pascal format?
16:42 hmmmm i.e. using serializeString()
16:42 est31 is the pascal format with \0 or with length?
16:43 hmmmm pascal format strings have a length prefix
16:43 est31 yes then I use that
16:43 est31 thats what networkpacket does
16:43 hmmmm well my point is why name it std::string
16:43 est31 because std::string does it the same way?
16:43 hmmmm this network protocol has nothing to do with C++
16:43 est31 ?
16:43 hmmmm and no, std::string has absolutely no definitive memory layout
16:43 hmmmm it's implementation dependent
16:44 est31 std::string doesn't care for \0s
16:44 est31 does it
16:44 hmmmm it doesn't, but so what?
16:44 est31 so its precisely what we're sending here
16:44 hmmmm we are not sending std::strings
16:44 est31 but yes we're first serializing them
16:44 hmmmm this is a network protocol standard
16:45 est31 of course we dont take the binary network layout
16:45 hmmmm we're sending sequences of octets with a length prefix
16:45 est31 so you want me to write instead "serialized std::string" then?
16:45 hmmmm ehh
16:45 est31 thats loooong
16:45 hmmmm I don't want you to do anything per se
16:45 hmmmm dude
16:46 hmmmm you have such a crazy aversion to "long"
16:46 hmmmm being shorter isn't necessarily better
16:46 hmmmm if you want short then why not use an "expressive" language like perl
16:46 hmmmm #{@#}${@#$
16:46 est31 lol
16:46 hmmmm but no
16:46 est31 ok what is your idea :)
16:46 hmmmm I'll change the nomenclature all at once
16:47 hmmmm this should probably be done separately
16:47 hmmmm in any case, there are a couple cases where you send a fixed length of data as a string
16:47 hmmmm est, you need to be VERY careful about what you do here before enabling this
16:48 hmmmm once you enable this new network version, there's no going back, and whatever mistake you might have made is now cemented into minetest history
16:48 est31 when I send fixed lengths its either for flexibility, or I do explicit checks
16:48 ElectronLibre I fixed everything and pushed it. #2707 should be ready now.
16:48 hmmmm I'm really sorry if things seem to be going slowly but it's needed
16:48 ShadowBot https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2707 -- Modified input and output format for /time command by LeMagnesium
16:48 hmmmm this is a huge change, and literally every time a large change was rushed, we paid for it
16:49 est31 so then, make suggestions :)
16:49 hmmmm i'm looking at it
16:49 hmmmm ElectronLibre, not to nitpick, but shouldn't "invalid minutes" be "Invalid minute"
16:49 hmmmm hour minutes, minutes is plural but hours is not
16:50 hmmmm does it sound better to have it as "hours and minutes"?
16:50 hmmmm or "hour and minute"
16:50 hmmmm you're specifying an exact hour and an exact minute
16:50 hmmmm or, an exact hour and some minutes after that hour
16:50 ElectronLibre I would say, "hour" and "minute".
16:50 hmmmm hmm, I think it's okay like it is now
16:50 hmmmm I don't have any preference
16:51 ElectronLibre "minutes" is a typo as far as I remember, I wanted it to be singular.
16:51 hmmmm okay
16:52 est31 std::string was nrz's idea, I only took what was there. len,char[len] has the problem that then people start inventing funny things
16:52 hmmmm nrz is not exactly a beacon of good ideas
16:52 est31 like "names are never longer than 20 chars, lets send char[20] over the line"
16:53 hmmmm oh ElectronLibre, sorry about this again but the word "included" should be "inclusive"
16:53 hmmmm i just saw that now
16:53 ElectronLibre Ok. I'm not native english speaker so I might have done mistakes in the text.
16:53 est31 what I want is some kind of abstraction, I dont care wheter its called std::string or serstring or omgABSTRACT.
16:53 ElectronLibre Thanks for pointing all of these.
16:53 hmmmm no problem
16:54 hmmmm est31:  we'll worry about naming later
16:54 hmmmm i just want to make sure all the packet formats make sense
16:54 est31 ok
16:54 hmmmm I still don't 100% understand the sudo mode thing
16:55 hmmmm why the hell is the password transmitted over the wire in base64
16:55 hmmmm i realize you didn't make it this way, but I just think it was a decision that never made any sense
16:56 est31 it is
16:56 est31 should be changed then
16:56 est31 you mean FIRST_SRP?
16:56 hmmmm anywhere where PASSWORD_SIZE is used
16:57 est31 ummm PASSWORD_SIZE is for legacy clients
16:57 hmmmm ahh
16:57 est31 I don't touch that anymore
16:57 hmmmm yeah, so then in FIRST_SRP
16:57 est31 I'll review whether its base64 encoded there, and if it is, then I'll binary code it
16:58 est31 (we have no plaintext protocol like SMTP where you base64 attachments and bloat emails size)
17:00 hmmmm so wait a minute is the network traffic being compressed now?
17:00 hmmmm was it ever not?
17:00 est31 is it?
17:01 est31 I haven't seen any compression as I looked at it with wireshark
17:01 hmmmm look at enum NetProtoCompressionMode
17:01 hmmmm is that simply not implemented?
17:01 est31 I think thats for node compression
17:02 est31 mapblock*
17:02 hmmmm it's never used anywhere
17:02 est31 yes, not implemented yet
17:03 hmmmm note to self: change enum value 0 to "no compression"
17:03 est31 nope
17:03 est31 right now we compress with zlib, not?
17:04 hmmmm it's not used anywhere
17:04 est31 it should be
17:04 est31 I'll use that
17:04 hmmmm go search for NETPROTO_COMPRESSION_ZLIB in the project
17:04 hmmmm don't do it right now..
17:04 est31 thanks for pointing
17:04 hmmmm this is a separate commit entirely
17:04 est31 https://github.com/est31/minetest/commit/​e68e2280c884f6e136e3516fe21cfa313b68dd0d
17:04 est31 you see the u16 compression_modes = 0; ?
17:04 hmmmm oh
17:05 est31 I'll change it to = NETPROTO_COMPRESSION_ZLIB
17:05 hmmmm wow
17:05 hmmmm it's a magic value
17:05 hmmmm learn to use define macros, enums, or something, anything to make it less cryptic
17:05 hmmmm I don't know WTF "0" means here unless I'm you
17:05 est31 I didnt introduce it sorry
17:05 est31 and its not bound to any functional code
17:05 est31 yet
17:05 hmmmm in any case, compression modes are a completely new thing that were just introduced
17:05 hmmmm so then change 0 to mean "no compression"
17:06 hmmmm and then make zlib compression 1
17:06 est31 sounds reasonable
17:06 hmmmm if you tell clients you're using zlib compression but you aren't because it hasn't been implemented yet... you're lying to the clients
17:07 hmmmm besides, i don't understand why compression would be mandatory
17:07 est31 its mapblock compression I think
17:07 est31 yes the enum is bad
17:08 hmmmm mapblock compression can use either RLE or Zlib by the way
17:08 hmmmm this is dependent upon MAPBLOCK serialization version
17:08 est31 ok
17:08 hmmmm NOT the net protocol serialization version
17:08 hmmmm they are two different things
17:08 est31 hm...
17:08 hmmmm this clearly says, "NETPROTO_COMPRESSION"
17:08 est31 then I have no idea why its there.
17:09 hmmmm because nerzhul had big ideas no doubt
17:09 hmmmm i support compression for network data.  really i do.  it's just that i'd prefer one of us does it so we can be reasonably sure there won't be 500 bugs
17:09 est31 lol
17:10 hmmmm sorry but it's the truth
17:10 hmmmm what file is the network diagram in??
17:10 hmmmm connection sequence i mean
17:10 est31 clientiface.h I think
17:10 est31 yup
17:10 hmmmm that is completely random
17:11 est31 ?
17:11 hmmmm i mean the location
17:12 hmmmm why clientiface.h
17:12 est31 what I think the reason was that it ended up in this file is that the states are managed there
17:12 hmmmm yeah, maybe.
17:12 hmmmm it should really be in a different file.
17:12 est31 but, I dont defend it, move it where you want
17:12 hmmmm not right now
17:12 hmmmm all these things are TODOs
17:13 hmmmm now you have there "Authentication, depending on packet sent by client"
17:13 est31 I didn't want to make the diagram too large
17:13 hmmmm this means it could be any of TOSERVER_FIRST_SRP, TOSERVER_SRP, TOSERVER_LEGACY_SRP
17:13 hmmmm well
17:13 hmmmm here is where you should be as large as you need
17:13 hmmmm you're describing how it works
17:13 hmmmm trying to be compact in documentation is the very last place
17:14 hmmmm that it would be appropriate
17:14 est31 one line has 96 chars already our hard limit is 90 chars
17:14 hmmmm ya... like I said, it's time to move it out into a different file
17:14 hmmmm sudo mode isn't enabled for account creation, correct?
17:15 hmmmm only password changing?
17:15 est31 still people who have tight screens should be abled to see it, not a fucked up version of it
17:15 est31 sorry to use "fucked"
17:15 hmmmm eh it's okay
17:15 hmmmm nobody's screen should be fucked to the point where it's less than 120 columns though
17:15 est31 nope, sudo mode only for existing ones
17:16 hmmmm for descriptive diagrams, i think the max column length should be increased.
17:16 hmmmm it's very important and shouldn't be compressed horziontally because of some legacy screen size limitation
17:16 hmmmm it shouldn't be in the code to begin with though
17:16 hmmmm right, anyway, we'll do that later.
17:17 hmmmm so am i correct in saying that sudo mode is only used for changing passwords???
17:17 est31 yes
17:17 hmmmm why don't you just call the packets "change SRP password"
17:18 hmmmm oh right, because that's too long
17:18 est31 thats naming mostly
17:18 hmmmm we had this same conversation like 3 times but i keep forgetting
17:18 hmmmm I still think you should change "sudo" to "change password"
17:18 hmmmm just to make completely certain, this is how it works:
17:19 hmmmm we're already logged in
17:19 hmmmm we want to change our password
17:19 hmmmm so we enable sudo mode
17:19 est31 yes
17:19 hmmmm send a TOCLIENT_FIRST_SRP
17:19 hmmmm do all the SRP stuff
17:19 hmmmm and then sudo mode disengages after a successful password change??
17:19 est31 TOSERVER_SRP_BYTES_A to be precise
17:19 hmmmm another thing I'd like to talk about
17:19 est31 yes it disengages
17:20 hmmmm though this isn't extremely important because it's just naming, not the actual protocol format
17:20 hmmmm why expose such low-level details about SRP in the packet names?
17:20 hmmmm shouldn't it be like AUTH_BEGIN or something?
17:20 hmmmm shrug
17:20 est31 I had such things in mind
17:20 hmmmm we'll figure it out later
17:20 est31 where I have a packet, and then have the auth related messages in there
17:20 hmmmm in any case
17:21 est31 so only two opcodes TOSERVER_AUTH_MSG
17:21 est31 and TOCLIENT_AUTH_MSG
17:21 hmmmm a lot of games i used to play worked like this
17:21 hmmmm you connect to the server
17:21 est31 then inside i had another opcode indicating the actual data
17:21 hmmmm you pass around basic init messages
17:21 hmmmm then you get to the login screen
17:21 est31 but then I thought it would be too much abstraction
17:21 hmmmm at the login screen, you give your username/password if you want to login
17:21 hmmmm and get a repsonse back
17:22 hmmmm if you fail, the session does not end, the user is simply not authenticated
17:22 hmmmm at the login screen you also have other choices like:
17:22 hmmmm change password
17:22 hmmmm recover password via email
17:22 hmmmm etc.
17:22 hmmmm create new account
17:22 hmmmm so I'm wondering if that model doesn't make more sense.  what is your take on it?
17:23 est31 that model is good, especially the "create account" part. supporting it in the future would however add two additional packets to the init
17:24 est31 where only one value gets exchanged
17:24 est31 so I thought it can be also achieved in future with a trick
17:24 est31 being that we make this a new auth mechanism
17:25 hmmmm alright back
17:25 hmmmm i thought about it a bit more
17:26 hmmmm if we activate this protocol as-is, i don't think it would add any more ill effects if we switch to a different model
17:26 est31 gtg now, bbi one hour, have to buy as long as shops are still open
17:26 hmmmm aside from having more legacy packets to deal with
17:26 hmmmm but i think this is okay since our opcode field is 16 bit
17:26 hmmmm we can afford having a crapload of packets
17:26 hmmmm I approve of this change
17:26 hmmmm looks good to me, activate it
17:27 hmmmm push the button
17:27 hmmmm all of the changes I want to make really should be separate from this
17:27 est31 I'll have an additional look at the compression handling
17:27 VanessaE I sure hope y'all have backware compat in mind :)
17:27 est31 yes
17:27 VanessaE I mean going all the way back to, say 0.4.9 :)
17:28 est31 the only way srp breaks backward compat is when you log in with a new client and its first time or you change your password, it gets changed to a password you can't use to log in with a legacy client
17:29 est31 people who regularly switch back should keep that in mind
17:29 est31 and forth*
17:29 est31 ok hmmmm I'll look at this compression mode thing, then activate srp
17:29 est31 but not now, in an hour
17:29 * est31 is away
18:25 cib0 joined #minetest-dev
18:54 MinetestForFun joined #minetest-dev
19:07 hmmmm by the way
19:07 hmmmm nobody said anything about https://github.com/kwolekr/minetest/commit​/a6da66299659a832d11c81711dc0fd73ca1602e3
19:09 est31 pushing in 5 minutes https://github.com/est31/minetest/commit/​c1268e32fbf30bf6bce62358f467b8157f4d42b8
19:10 est31 hmmmm, that commit is for the lua api, am I right?
19:10 hmmmm yes
19:10 hmmmm ahh
19:10 est31 ah thats what SAPI stands for
19:10 hmmmm Script API
19:10 est31 should be documented
19:10 hmmmm one thing
19:11 hmmmm u16 compression_modes
19:11 est31 yes?
19:11 hmmmm why is that plural?  you imply like there are more than one possible
19:11 hmmmm it's not a bitmap like authentication_methods
19:11 est31 is it not?
19:11 hmmmm the compression mode you're choosing is NETPROTO_COMPRESSION_NONE
19:12 hmmmm compression_modes makes it seem like it could be...
19:12 est31 umm
19:12 hmmmm NETPROTO_COMPRESSION_ZLIB | NETPROTO_COMPRESSION_SOMETHING_ELSE
19:12 est31 yes
19:12 hmmmm so is compression_modes supposed to be a bitfield??
19:12 est31 what I think should happen is that the client sends the compression modes it supports to the server, the server answers with the deployed mode
19:13 est31 because how can a client chose a compression mode without knowing what the server supports
19:13 hmmmm but that's in TOSERVER_INIT
19:13 est31 yes it is supposed
19:13 hmmmm supported_compression_modes
19:13 est31 ok
19:14 hmmmm and make it a static const u16
19:14 hmmmm we should document that it's a bitfield somewhere in the documentation
19:14 est31 why static const?
19:15 hmmmm it optimizes better
19:15 est31 it could be a setting for example
19:16 hmmmm okay nevermind it is there
19:16 hmmmm (the documentation)
19:17 hmmmm see, I think it was originally meant to be a single value, not a bitfield
19:17 hmmmm when nerzhul wrote that enum, he made zlib == 0, not 1
19:17 hmmmm i.e. not a flag
19:17 hmmmm your design to make it a bitfield is ultimately much more sensible
19:18 est31 :)
19:18 hmmmm s/design/decision/
19:18 est31 and about this "change password, recover password through email" thing
19:18 hmmmm we'll do that later
19:18 est31 it is indeed possible right now
19:18 hmmmm I'd rather not
19:19 hmmmm let's do all this "login screen" stuff at once
19:19 est31 because the client sends the desired username
19:19 est31 the server then sends a list of supported auth methods
19:19 est31 one of them could be "reset through email"
19:19 hmmmm not just change password and recover password, but what about create account?
19:19 est31 so we only have to move the GUI one connection step back
19:20 est31 yes thats already even there
19:20 hmmmm so 4 functions
19:20 est31 its FIRST_SRP :)
19:20 hmmmm login to existing, create new, change password, recover password
19:20 hmmmm anything else??
19:20 hmmmm if you have a better design please do tell me
19:20 hmmmm i'm just saying what's intuitive to me personally
19:20 hmmmm i'm sure there could be better options
19:21 est31 my idea was
19:21 est31 that the person enters their username
19:21 est31 then the init comes
19:21 est31 then the client either displays "please enter password"
19:21 est31 or, "create account"
19:21 est31 this can be done like with modern websites inside the GUI
19:22 est31 or perhaps not
19:22 hmmmm so you'd rather have the username and password screens separate
19:22 hmmmm is what you're saying
19:22 ElectronLibre joined #minetest-dev
19:23 ElectronLibre joined #minetest-dev
19:23 TeTpaAka joined #minetest-dev
19:24 est31 we can either make a "dynamic" screen where the user only enters username, that gets sent to the server, and the client then either changes the gui to "create new account" or to "log in"
19:25 est31 or we can make it "static" where the user has to press create account and log in buttons separately
19:25 hmmmm what if the user fails authentication because he entered a wrong username
19:25 hmmmm i think i like the static model better
19:25 hmmmm no reason to fragment
19:27 est31 either way
19:27 est31 can I merge the patch?
19:27 hmmmm yeah
19:27 est31 good
19:27 hmmmm i think that in the future, we should couple the username with the auth packets
19:27 hmmmm keep it separate from initialization
19:28 est31 hrmm this is what nrz favoured too
19:28 est31 I decided against because it would have required even more packet sent back and forth
19:28 est31 => longer log in process
19:28 hmmmm why???
19:28 hmmmm send it along with A
19:28 est31 not possible
19:29 est31 what if user a has only legacy password, and user b has new srp password in the database?
19:29 est31 the server has to look up inside the database to determine which auth methods it supports for the user
19:30 hmmmm hmm
19:30 est31 http://lists.minetest.net/archives/​minetest-dev/2015-April/000005.html
19:30 hmmmm true
19:30 est31 read from "we have two options now:"
19:31 est31 or from "About the TOSERVER_AUTH package.", better
19:40 hmmmm pushing https://github.com/kwolekr/minetest/commit​/a6da66299659a832d11c81711dc0fd73ca1602e3 in 5 minutes if nobody has an objection...
19:41 est31 where exactly is it exposed in the API?
19:41 hmmmm any time you'd normally enter an {a=255, r=255, g=10, b=10} sort of ARGB8 quad table
19:41 hmmmm now you have the option of specifying "red" or "purple" instead
19:43 est31 really?
19:43 est31 will it also work for the nametag color?
19:43 hmmmm yep.
19:44 est31 nice
19:44 est31 doc/lua_api.txt should point this out though
19:46 est31 we even accept numbers now, dont we?
19:49 est31 see my comment hmmmm
19:54 hmmmmm joined #minetest-dev
20:00 hmmmmmm joined #minetest-dev
20:05 hmmmmm joined #minetest-dev
20:08 hmmmm joined #minetest-dev
20:08 neoascetic joined #minetest-dev
20:09 neoascetic Hey. Latest master is broken! https://travis-ci.org/minete​st/minetest/builds/62845257
20:09 est31 ouch
20:10 est31 dammit my fault
20:10 est31 I did compile it
20:10 est31 I did
20:10 est31 and then I didnt look at the output
20:10 est31 argh
20:10 neoascetic Does travis send some angry error, doesn't it?
20:11 hmmmmmm joined #minetest-dev
20:11 neoascetic I noticed this from my osx builds report
20:11 est31 its my fault
20:12 neoascetic Travis has IRC integration, I think it would be cool to have it write here on errors on master
20:12 est31 sfan5, ^
20:15 est31 neoascetic, check now
20:31 est31 joined #minetest-dev
20:50 sfan5 est31: if you want to have something changed in the travis settings you need to talk to c55
20:50 est31 o
20:50 est31 ok
21:41 ElectronLibre left #minetest-dev
21:55 RealBadAngel joined #minetest-dev
22:02 ShadowNinja .../src/noise.cpp:617:16: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
22:02 ShadowNinja hmmmmmm: Do you have -Wno-sign-compare or something?
22:14 ShadowNinja I'll push security now.  I'll leave it disabled by default at first, and then enable it in a week or so after all mods that I know of that will break from it have been patched.
22:18 est31 which mods?
22:19 ShadowNinja est31: WorldEdit, IRC, player_textures, and datastorage will need minor patches to work.
22:20 ShadowNinja (I've already written patches for all of those mods)
22:36 est31 ok
23:29 Wayward_One joined #minetest-dev
23:31 hmmmmm anyway if you guys don't have any qualms about a6da662 i'll push now
23:33 est31 hmmmmm, have you seen my comment?
23:33 hmmmmm oh i'll go look now
23:34 est31 also it should be documented hmmmmm.
23:34 est31 otherwise its ok#
23:35 hmmmmm maybe i'm not understanding your comment
23:36 hmmmmm i don't think setNametagColor can fail
23:36 est31 read_color can
23:36 hmmmmm ahh good catch
23:36 hmmmmm i forgot about that
23:53 Wayward_Tab joined #minetest-dev
23:57 hmmmmm https://github.com/kwolekr/minetest/commit​/2daf65fd71555fe31b5140a77acc64261db9260f
23:57 jin_xi https://github.com/obneq/mine​test/tree/scenenodeparticles here is moar wip for irrlicht particles
23:59 jin_xi so, what do to get some feedback by people who actually know something? make another PR seems kinda weird and all feedback i got there was kinda useless
23:59 jin_xi anyway if anyone has tips regarding how things _work_ im happy to hear

| Channels | #minetest-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext